‘He’s entwined his business with his presidency . . . and it’s not going well.’
How Trump’s presidency is hurting the Trump brand
Trump’s prized Doral golf resort in Miami is crucial to his overall finances, says David Fahrenthold, who covers the Trump Organization for The Post.
But, according to company documents and exclusive video obtained by The Post, the Doral resort is in steep decline.
“They are severely underperforming,” tax consultant Jessica Vachiratevanurak told a Miami-Dade County official in a bid to lower the property’s tax bill. The reason, she said: “There is some negative connotation that is associated with the brand.”
“He’s entwined his business more than any modern president with his presidency,” Fahrenthold says. “And it’s not going well.”
- Trump’s prized Doral resort is in steep decline, according to company documents, showing his business problems are mounting
Tensions mounting with Iran
Tension between the United States and Iran has been rising steadily. Tehran has indicated it may curtail its full cooperation with the 2015 landmark nuclear agreement, and the Trump administration spoke of “planned or contemplated attacks” by Iran against U.S. forces and friends in the Middle East.
“Things have escalated very quickly in terms of our mind-set, our posture about Iran,” says national security reporter John Hudson, “but there’s a lot of confusion about exactly what the U.S. is responding to.
Hudson explains the responses the White House is considering — including deploying troops — even as lawmakers from both parties complained that the White House has not fully briefed them on the escalating tensions.
- Trump administration considers responses to potential Iranian attacks, including troop increase
- Iranian threats led to White House’s deployment announcement, U.S. officials say
- Pompeo crashes Brussels meeting of E.U. diplomats but changes few minds on Iran
Politicians who run for office and run marathons
All successful politicians are competitive — that’s how they got elected, right? But some find that relentless drive not just on the campaign trail but also in the weight room, in a road race or on the basketball court.
Graphics reporter Bonnie Berkowitz lists the most impressive athletic feats by lawmakers.
- They never stop running: For some lawmakers, over-the-top competition isn’t limited to elections. Our panel rated the athletic feats of 20 politicians.