“Let the Kids Lead” - Youth Power in Action (with Josh Thompson and Zoë Jenkins)
Baratunde calls out the adults that say, “The kids will save us,” but then underestimate or don’t support kids’ efforts to participate. Josh Thompson and Zoë Jenkins, leaders at Civics Unplugged, share a new kind of movement and organization that is setting a vision for the future of democracy in 2030 and showing us what Gen Z leadership can look like right now.
Show Notes + Links
We are grateful to Josh Thompson and Zoë Jenkins for joining us.
Follow @joshuatthompson on Twitter or @civicsunplugged on IG or Twitter. You can learn more about Civics Unplugged at https://www.civicsunplugged.org/.
We will post this episode, a transcript, show notes and more at howtocitizen.com.
Please show your support for the show in the form of a review and rating. It makes a huge difference with the algorithmic overlords!
HERE IS WHAT YOU CAN DO NOW. ACTIONS FOR THIS EPISODE.
- Writing exercise! Inspired by Civics 2030 program at Civics Unplugged, complete the following to start your journey as a Civics 2030 Builder:
- To me, a flourishing democracy is one…
- To me, a flourishing community is one…
- By 2030, I pledge to have contributed to the flourishing of the following communities:
- By 2030, I pledge to have played any, many, or all of the following roles in service of creating a brighter future for my communities and American democracy
- After developing your own vision and pledge, check out these two pieces from the Civics Unplugged community for more ideas and inspiration: Why We Must Save American Democracy and What American democracy could look like in 2030
- Identify any young people in your life who you could support and then ask them what they are working on and how you can help.
- Nominate high school students or encourage them to apply to the Civics Unplugged fellowship and spread the word. https://www.civicsunplugged.org/apply
- Get involved as a mentor or partner in supporting Builders and the Civics 2030 Campaign. https://www.civicsunplugged.org/plug-in
- (BONUS!) Find your favorite Drake meme or parody and share it with someone who will enjoy it!
If you take any of these actions, share that with us - email@example.com. Mention Kids will Lead in the subject line. And brag online about your citizening on social media using #howtocitizen.
We love feedback from our listeners - firstname.lastname@example.org.
Visit Baratunde's website to sign up for his newsletter to learn about upcoming guests, live tapings, and more. Follow him on Instagram or join his Patreon. You can even text him, like right now at 202-894-8844.
How To Citizen with Baratunde is a production of I iHeart Radio Podcasts. executive produced by Miles Gray, Nick Stumpf, Elizabeth Stewart, and Baratunde Thurston. Produced by Joelle Smith, edited by Justin Smith. Powered by you.
Learn more about your ad-choices at https://news.iheart.com/podcast-advertisers