精選詞彙播客 Vocab Ep.044: 羅馬的共享單車 Maybe This Time, the Bikes Won’t End Up in the River
The boom of sharing economy brought about many types of transportation sharing companies around the world. However, in some countries, sharing economy battle to catch on. For many bike sharing companies, Rome is a difficult city to develop. In 2013, Rome discontinued the bike sharing program after the program ran out of money. Few years ago a Hong Kong company gave up their business in Rome because many of their bicycles landed up in the Tiber river. From there, a Singapore company also left Rome when the romans stole the bikes and broke them down for parts. Uber is confident that its sharing program will grow in Rome.
Vocabulary and Sample Sentences:
Pull the plug idiom. – cancel / discontinue
- The city of Rome pull the plug on its bike sharing program when it ran out of money.
- My boss stopped funding us, so we had to pull the plug on the project.
Run out of ph.v- used up (of supply)
- The bank ran out of new bank notes over the Chinese New Year.
- My car ran out of gas before reaching Taichung.
Clog v. – blocked or become blocked
- The highway is clogged with holiday traffic.
- Food waste usually clog our kitchen drain.