精選詞彙播客 Vocab Ep.104: 世界更仰賴台灣的半導體 The world is ever more dependent on Taiwan for semiconductors
Taiwan’s role in the world economy largely existed below the radar until recently. With the auto industry suffered shortage in computer chips used for everything from parking sensors to reducing emissions, TSMC the world’s biggest semiconductor foundry semiconductors came under the spotlight.
Vocabulary and sample sentences:
Court v. – to be involved romantically / pay special attention to win support
- Taiwan is being courted for its capacity to make leading-edge computer chips
- My father courted my mother for six months before they started dating officially.
Under the radar id. – to go unnoticed
- Taiwan’s significance in the world economy was under the radar for many years.
- I didn’t want to get noticed in school, so I stayed under the radar most of the time.
Monopoly n. – have dominance in the market, supply or trade.
- ASML Holding NV of the Netherlands has a monopoly on the machines needed to fabricate the best chips.
- Major tech companies in the world are being investigated for monopolistic business practices.
- Apple Podcast 2020年十大熱門節目
- KKBox 2020年十大Podcast風雲榜 (唯一語言學習Podcast)
- Himalaya 人氣票選播客總冠軍