精選詞彙 Vocab #042: 數百萬美國學子被學貸判「無期徒刑」 Student debt is just like a life sentence for Americans
On average, students who graduate from public university in the US is expected to have over USD35000 in student debt loan. Official government statistics also indicates that 71% of US students are burdened with student loans, with minorities – black women hit the hardest. For students, it’s the inability to repay the loans on time that is incurring additional interest, and over time the debt just keeps piling upwards.
Singapore schoolchildren is struggling with stress from school. According to news reports, the number of schoolchildren seeking psychiatric help is increasing. To ease the pressure of students, the government removed some exams in primary and secondary schools and group the students according to ability in math and science classes.
Vocabulary and Sample Sentences:
Debt n. A sum of money that is owed or due / a feeling of gratitude for a service or favor
- You will be in debt if you borrow money from the bank that you cannot pay back.
- Thank you for the help, I am in your debt.
Burden v. n. A heavy load ; load heavily
- The student loans over time will become a huge burden for the graduates.
- Please don’t burden yourself with too much debt before you get a job.
Anxiety n. adj. A feeling of worry, nervousness, or unease about uncertain outcome
- Compared to student in other countries, Singaporean students suffer from greater anxiety.