(#7) One Year of Funemployment: Reclaiming My Life's Work and Finding Purpose
We're finally back for Season 2, Baller Fam! It's been a whirlwind of events for me outside of work as I took the majority of 2022 off to focus on rebuilding my personal life. After I separated from my former partner in 2021, I expected 2022 to be the jumpstart to my new life, and I needed to double-up on work and increase my income fivefold in order to make the big money moves I wanted to. But unfortunately, there were a lot of unaddressed issues in my personal life that were begging for my focus before I could truly hit the reset button on my life and move forward in a way that wasn't contributing to my already rapidly-declining mental health.
Like many, you can imagine how working full-time and overtime can prevent us from addressing the fires in our personal lives and the more we put them off, they only grow bigger. In 2022, I took the courageous leap of faith to hit the pause button on work and focus on rebuilding myself as a person, dive into trauma therapy, and realign with what was most important to me in life so that I could have a solid foundation to springboard off of.
In this episode, I dare you to probe the taboo idea of taking the time off work to focus on putting out the fires in your own life. My experience of voluntary unemployment was worth its weight in gold, and I'm sharing all of my revelations and experiences in the hopes that I can inspire you to take that hard-earned break you deserve to find your joy and purpose again. Funemployment is a worthwhile investment in yourself - your exhausted brain, your hurting heart, and your tired soul will thank you.
In This Episode:
- Where we last left off in Season 1 (1:55 )
- How occupational burnout caused my severe depression (4:46 )
- I quit working to focus on healing full-time (6:34 )
- The importance of creating a loving relationship with your career (7:29 )
- Taking a break from work can be critical to finding joy and purpose (9:43 )
- How I leveraged passive income to take 8 months off of work (10:59 )
- Why what you do for a living needs to provide a sense of purpose (15:46 )
- My personal life began interfering with my work performance (16:22 )
- Figuring out why my work wasn’t bringing me joy anymore (19:49 )
- Financially Surviving a Breakup with Dannie Vann From Pennies to Wealth
- All About Love: New Visions - Bell Hooks (Amazon)
- Bullshit Jobs - David Graeber (Amazon)
Where you can find Aileen Luib: