005: Preparing for Your Brand Video Shoot (and more music)
This is the 3rd episode Chris Ryan has been on, and we’ve only done 5 episodes. What’s up with that? Simple. He’s a great co-host and we have a lot of fun together - as it should be.
Chris owns Ryan Video Productions. As he says on his website, “Let’s do some good work together!” He means it, as evidence by his client testimonials and the people I’ve talked to who’ve used his services.
Chris and I share a love for music. We’ve both been involved in the seen for years. While Chris worked in a radio station DJ’n several shows, I started behind a mic producing podcasts before it was called podcasting. Back then, it was often called “audio blogging.” So yes, this episode is largely dominated by talking about the musicians, bands, and experiences we’ve had along the way. But don’t worry, Chris will let you know how best to prepare for your video shoot BEFORE you hire the videographer.
Topics, Mentions, and Links to All The Music
- Chris listened to Spotify’s “Discover Weekly” and discovered Thomas Dolby’s album “Flat Earth.” The Flat Earth is the second album by Thomas Dolby. It was released in February 1984, peaking at #14 on the UK Albums Chart. The first single from the album was "Hyperactive!", which peaked at #17 in the UK Singles Chart, making it Dolby's highest-charting single in his home country. ~ Wikipedia. Thomas Dolby Blinded Us With Ringtones.
- Dan Hicks and The Hot Licks and I Scare Myself.
- Musical Category: Fusion
- Chris meets Frank Zappa who plays guest DJ in the Tucson radio station he was working in at the time. Zappa had just released You Are What You Is. In fact, Chris has credits in the liner notes for Zappa’s You Can’t Do That On Radio!
- When you’re getting ready to do a brand video, what do you need to consider? Figure out what you’re trying to accomplish...
- John Krasinski - Some Good News on YouTube.
- More musical artists Christ met while at the radio station.
- Jackson Brown
- Todd Rundgren
- Guns and Roses
- Rick Dango from The Band
- Arthur Lee singer and guitar player for the band Love.
- Little Feet
- A phone interview with Pat Metheny
- Béla Fleck. John mentions Echo in the Valley which is the follow-up to Béla Fleck and Abigail Washburn's acclaimed, self-titled debut that earned the 2016 Grammy for Best Folk Album.
- John mentions Howard Levy and Béla Fleck & The Original Flecktones - "Sinister Minister" - Mountain Jam VII - 6/3/11.
- Chris continues to work “safely” on-site to produce videos and talks about how he does it.
- Chris talks about his experience shooting music videos.
- Chris was up against Wolfman Jack for ratings - and had better ratings!
- John asks Chris if he knew in Tucson Rythem and Roots Concert Series, Jonathan and Susan Holden, who did a lot of work with KCXI Public Radio? John mentions seeing Greg Brown - Boom Town, in 2004 at the Lensic Theater in Santa Fe, NM when he was living there.
- Roots Music… sanity music.
- Music… it makes you feel normal
Contact Chris Ryan
"Branded" Podcast Contact Info
Intro/Outtro music credit
Dances With Koalas by coruscate (c) copyright 2020 Licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution (3.0) license. http://dig.ccmixter.org/files/Coruscate/61129 Ft: Calyman & Psubhashish