#011: Erik Maltais: Recognizing Future Market Opportunities Through Virtual Reality
Erik Maltais – Co-founder, CEO and servant leader at Immertec talks to Jason A. Duprat, Entrepreneur, Healthcare Practitioner and Host of the Healthcare Entrepreneur Academy Podcast. Erik Maltais addresses how he began making $5,000 a day when he was 14-years-old. He also shares what he’s learned from different business experiences, how he got involved in IMMERTEC without being a medical expert and the importance of identifying problems that require solving in order to be a successful entrepreneur.
- What was Erik Maltais’ upbringing like?
- Erik shares a story about starting an ice cream truck business.
- How did Erik exit the ice cream truck business?
- Did Erik have entrepreneurial ideas in the military?
- Erik discusses how his early failures led to major success.
- What does an exit strategy and process typically look like?
- What was the initial starting point for IMMERTEC?
- Erik shares stats and issues underlining the demand for technologically-advanced medical tools and training.
- Erik talks about why you don’t need to be an expert in the industry you're entering to achieve success.
- When you're raising money, be ready to say “no” if it isn’t right for the company.
- What resources does Erik recommend?
- If you don’t create a company culture, it will create itself.
3 Key Points:
- You can often learn more from experts and hands-on experience for starting a business rather than relying on your college education.
- Figure out how to automate your business and be able to remove yourself from it.
- 5 billion people on earth don’t have access to safe and affordable surgery, which will require doubling the number of physicians we have by 2030.
- “You can find a problem in the world, offer a solution and then take action to make something happen.” – Erik Maltais
- “I learned competition is a real thing and the minute you start to make money, people are going to come along and copy you. I also learned you can’t let things go to your head.” – Erik Maltais
- Anything you do in life should create value in the future.” – Erik Maltais