#030 - By Men For Men - Challenges of Masculinity (Pt 1 of 2)
Today, I’m sitting down with a room full of diverse men to talk about the challenges of masculinity. The reason I wanted to facilitate this discussion is to bring to light some of the points and perspectives on what it means to be a man in modern day, told by men. Everyone, regardless of how they present or identify, should have a vested interest in loosening the tight grip of patriarchal masculinity because it not only hurts women and LGBTQ people, but it hurts men, too.
Here are a few of the ideas we discuss:
- The overwhelming statistics of violence by men, not just to others, but to themselves (suicide), and the gaping void of close friends they can turn to in crisis within individualistic societies
- The myth of the “real man”... who is this mythical man?!
- The lack of vulnerability men are “allowed” to show, especially when it affects their physical and emotional wellbeing
- When the tough guise of manliness serves a purpose as an adaptive mechanism (combat zones, police force, etc) versus when it’s maladaptive (in family life, relationships, with our children, etc)
- The lack of healthy leadership for boys as they transition into adulthood, that directly impacts their ability to be good, present fathers and learn how to enjoy their sexuality in a healthy way
- The socialization of men into being autonomous and not asking for help, even when situations are dire
For relationship or life coaching, you can book a private session with me at devonevans.com. You can support the Myths, Mating, & Mindset podcast at patreon.com/devonevans.