051: You Mad, Bro? How a Grown-Ass Man Deals With Anger
We are wired for anger. It is protective. Jordan Peterson says that aggression is the default in our wiring and chemistry. Testosterone is the power hormone but too often we get tricked into believing there is a threat when there is none. Today we’re going to discuss anger and how men can be more aware of what they are feeling and have more control of an emotion that too often diminishes our actual power.
Questions answered in this episode:
- What is the nature of anger. What is it and why are men so prone to the struggle with anger?
- What biological and cognitive processes predispose us to anger?
- How can men be more aware of what’s happening with their anger and gain more control over this often destructive emotion?
- What are the actions that men need to take if they have a pattern of destructive anger?
Other topics discussed:
- Anger is a gift to protect us
- It has evolutionary value.
- The tribal man who could become angry survived.
- It remains with us through natural selection.
- All about the “fight or flight” response
- We can be tricked into believing there is a threat.
- The role of managing expectations in maintaining emotional regulation
- How incorrect interpretation of triggers create negative emotions and negative reactions
Send in a voice message: https://anchor.fm/alphaquorum/message