059. From Classroom Teacher to Homeschool Mom: Reframing Education with Monica Erwin
“There are hard things in life, but should education be one of them?”
The perspective of a classroom teacher turned homeschool mom is pretty interesting…and very insightful. Monica Erwin is with us today to share more about her experience of moving from classroom teacher to homeschool mom…she shares so much about the mindset shifts she had to make and shows us a path toward a more compassionate approach to education and parenting. I was very moved by her honesty and really humbled by her stories and perspective.
There are stigmas surrounding homeschool in general…and we don’t skirt around them in this conversation. Monica shares how she moved from believing the old stigma that homeschool meant kids stayed home, fell behind, and couldn’t measure up to traditional education school kids to advocating for connection and the power of an individualized education that is a hallmark of homeschool. She walks us through how she was so involved in test scores and assessment and loved the structure and accountability of an institution, but then stumbled upon homeschool because of a family need. She once believed “(her) kids would never perform for me at home like they do for their own teacher”—but not anymore!
Education reform and reframing learning are happening all around us—we are in the middle of what I believe will be a pivotal point in the history of education. This is a long episode, but I followed Monica’s pace on this one and I’m so glad I did. There is a LOT to unpack when it comes to education reform. How fortunate we are to have Monica here to share her insights into this shift and how we can best show up during these big changes.
Monica’s Bio: Monica was an elementary teacher who unexpectedly became a homeschool mom of 3 kids. She lives with her family in San Diego, CA. Her vision is to encourage parents as they navigate the home education of their children by sharing her journey and pointing them to helpful resources. Follow Monica on IG: @sweetwaterhomeschool
In this episode, Monica and I talk about:
* Her school experiences as a child and how they shaped her decisions as a mom and how they led her to pursuing her teaching degree
* How she reframed her “school is tough—toughen up!” mentality to...(tune in!)
* How the switch to homeschool reduced stress levels by slowing down when she needs and picking up when it’s called for
* Getting over societal stigmas that are false (especially as it relates to modern homeschool)
* Taking the time to slow down and get it done.
* Homeschool styles
* Modern homeschool is NOT like it was in the 80s and 90s…how homeschool has transformed
* Upgrading our ideas about education
* AND SO MUCH MORE! Head to www.elevatingmotherhood.com for the FULL SHOW NOTES!
Please Visit Today's Sponsors:
Homeschool Explained: www.elevatingmotherhood.com/homeschool
Primally Pure: www.elevatingmotherhood.com/primallypure
Elevating Motherhood Links: