08.) Martin Van Buren 1837-1841
How does Martin Van Buren rise from being an impoverished child with no education to taking over New York State politics, forging the Democratic Party, and creating the modern two-party system? He does it by being sly. Sly as a fox.
Follow Van Buren, the "Little Magician," as he outwits and manipulates every foe and ally alike to remake the American political landscape, only for it all to collapse on him just four days after reaching the White House when America's first great depression destroys the economy and any dreams Van Buren might have held for what his presidency might have been.
1. Martin Van Buren and the American Political System – Donald B. Cole
2. The Life of Andrew Jackson – Robert V. Remin
3. Heirs of the Founders – H.W. Brands
4. John Quincy Adams – Harlow G Unger
5. Polk: The Man Who Transformed the Presidency and America – Walter R. Borneman
6. William Henry Harrison – Gail Collins
Support the show (https://www.patreon.com/AbridgedPresidentialHistories)