10: Crystallography and Capsules: MSE in Pharmaceuticals (feat. Dr. Pratik Upadhyay)
Among its many applications, Materials Science and Engineering has a strong influence in how we design and package pharmaceuticals. In today’s episode we talk with Dr. Pratik Upadhyay, a Senior Scientist at AstraZeneca about the role of optimizing materials to enhance the performance of pharmaceuticals. Furthermore, we explore the connections between the paradigms of drug design and delivery with other subfields of materials science and engineering.
Dr. Pratik Upadhyay can be reached via: https://www.linkedin.com/in/niperpratikpe/
Our topics in today’s episode include:
- The importance of focusing on user needs in this space (4:08 )
- Similarities between pharmaceutical field and other materials fields (7:20 )
- Considerations of polymorphism in drug design (13:08 )
- Optimizing materials properties to enhance manufacturing (21:41 )
- Nanotechnology in the future of pharmaceuticals (25:54 )
- The role of computations in predicting polymorphism (37:54 )
- And much more!
For shorter segments, subscribe to our channel on YouTube. For bloopers, audiograms, and interesting materials science articles, follow us on Instagram, LinkedIn, and Twitter. Feel free to DM us @itsamaterialworldpodcast if you have any feedback or recommendations for future episodes or email us directly at email@example.com. Finally, reach out to Tom Miller and Punith Upadhya on LinkedIn if you'd like to chat about the latest breakthroughs in MSE!
Disclaimer: Any opinions expressed by either guests or hosts in this show are their own, and do not represent the opinions of the companies or organizations for which they are affiliated.