10. DISC - What I Love (The Basics)
In today’s episode I finally get to share what I love about DISC, why I use it, and how it can help you learn about yourself and better relate to others! We’ll take a quick look at the strengths of each style and point out some tips on how to improve your communication abilities
Intentional Optimism - The Tenets
- Optimistic - hopeful, positive, proactive
- Present - having a sense of wonder, generous, kind/open
- Courageous - lead, adventure, resilient
- Energetic - industrious, energetic and life-focused
- Wise - understanding, words, respect
- Intentional - sense of purpose, plan, grow
What is DISC?
- 2 Main Categories
- Reserved or Outgoing
- People Oriented or Task Oriented
- What shapes your personality?
- Heredity / Genetics - patterns you are born with
- Environment / Life Experiences
- Role Models / People who teach us what is valuable
Main Types and their details:
D = Dominant - Direct, great leaders, move the project.
Motivated by: Results
Fear: Being taken advantage of
I = Influencing - very social and fun - persuaders, friendly, talkers Social, fun, spontaneous, in the spotlight, talkative, expressive, friendly
Motivated by: Recognition
Fear: Rejection and loss of approval
S = Steady - get things done, keep things friendly, loyal Team oriented, friendly, loyal, relied on to follow through, great listeners
Motivated by: Relationships
Fear: Loss of security or confrontation
C = Compliant - accurate, organized, on time, analytical planners On time, organized, analytical, planners, accurate, self sacrificing
Motivated by: Reason
Fear: Criticism, getting it wrong
- How to communicate
- D = Be brief, direct and to the point. Ask WHAT, not HOW; focus on results; offer solutions
- I = Don’t ignore their ideas - Recognize their efforts. Allow time for socializing; Follow up in writing; Short meetings are more productive.
- S = Smile - cultivate a friendly atmosphere. Don't be aggressive; Define roles of team members; Find a common interest.
- C = Give them the details. Offer validated facts; Be precise; Be patient - answer all the questions and follow up.
- Identify one thing you learned today - what will you do with it?
- Learn about the behavior plans AND implement and use them to connect with others
- Grab your FREE “Ultimate DISC communication Cheat Sheet”
- Get a DISC Assessment from me with 10% discount - enter "PODCAST" at check out
Resources mentioned in this episode:
- Prov. 31:10-31
- “Ultimate DISC communication Cheat Sheet”
- DISC Assessment 10% discount - enter "PODCAST" at check out
If you follow me on Facebook or Instagram, you’ll see my daily posts from She Reads Truth. This is one of my Spiritual Disciplines - reading the Bible every day.
Email me at email@example.com and let me know how I can be your professional encourager!&