104. Can Your Kids Be Themselves Around You?
Authenticity. It’s a word that gets thrown around and overused these days. But what does it really mean? Today we want to talk about how to let your kids be themselves and how to feel like a less “controlling” parent.
Don’t get us wrong, it’s important to have a healthy level of authority in your kids' lives as they grow up, but there is a difference between parenting, and infringing on one's free will and the ability to express themselves.
Chris and Melissa here welcoming you back to the Podcast! Here at Family Brand, part of what we do is teach families how to create their family vision statement and family values. One of our core goals as Smith’s is we want to create a culture where everyone in our family feels like they belong and are accepted.
Growing up and just through our own life experiences, the sense of “belonging” was a feeling we weren't super familiar with. We both found it hard to truly be ourselves and live from a place that we would call congruent. Learning our individual identity and what it meant to express ourselves has been a journey. (And one we are still on)
In today’s episode, we are going to share our experiences of learning how to be more authentic and how to create an environment where all of our kids know they can be exactly who they are. This can be easier said than done, so that’s why we are going to also share a few practical examples about how we are parenting our kids through everything from switching schools, bad haircuts, crazy outfits and so much more.
It’s easy to feel like we know best when it comes to how our kids should be or live their lives. Can you relate? If so, listen to the end to hear how Melissa is learning how to release control or “nagging” Mothering tendencies and step into a new level of relationship with our boys.
More Of What’s Inside:
- How to allow your children to be who they are
- The challenge of not trying to control everything around our kids
- The idea is that you can be who you want to be
- Are you more worried about what other people will think?
- Creating a culture of belonging
- Can you allow people to be who they want to be?
- And much more!
- Facebook: www.facebook.com/FamilyBrandOfficial
- Instagram: www.instagram.com/ourfamilybrand
- YouTube: www.youtube.com/channel/UCGu-7odB6gkPbyXpUIQLkrg
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/OurFamilyBrand
Episode Minute By Minute:
- 1:00 The importance of just being you
- 3:06 How we are letting their kids be themselves
- 6:49 Everyone has an individual worldview
- 8:14 It’s not about what people think about you
- 12:55 A powerful mother and son night Mellissa recently
- 16:25 Creating a culture of belonging
- 29:23 Is there something you should release this week?