#105: Are you truly healthy? A Deep Dive into Your Health and Labs with Dr. Mary Pardee
Have you ever felt symptoms, visited your doctor, run a plethora of tests, only to be told that everything is “normal”? This is far too common. When it comes to optimal health, there’s more to it than a few blood tests that look at reference ranges based on the average person. Dr. Mary Pardee walks us through exactly what’s wrong with traditional tests and what we can do to create optimal health.
On today’s Broken Brain Podcast, our host Dhru talks to Dr. Mary Pardee, a naturopathic medical doctor and a certified Functional Medicine doctor who specializes in integrative gastroenterology and hormone balancing in Los Angeles, California. She is the founder of modrn med, a telemedicine and virtual wellness company that provides medical and health services to clients across the world from the comfort of their homes.
In this episode, Dhru and Dr. Mary dive deep into a holistic and functional approach to overall wellness. Dr. Mary covers everything from hormones to cardio-metabolic health, general physical exams, blood work, and the difference between healthspan and lifespan. She introduces the idea of “optimal” ranges and explains how this can be quite different from “reference” ranges when it comes to wellness. They cover 13 different health areas so you can know exactly which tests your doctor should run and exactly where your results should be. This episode is everything you ever wanted to know about assessing your overall health and how to truly feel optimal.
In this episode, we dive into:
- The Functional Medicine approach to a patient who is experiencing symptoms but has blood work all “within normal limits” (5:15 )
- Understanding the difference between healthspan and lifespan (7:07 )
- How to work with your doctor to get the answers you need (11:50 )
- 13 markers of optimal health and exactly what to look for:
1. The importance of general appearance (13:40 )
2. Vital signs (16:20 )
- At home devices to measure HRV (21:41 )
3. General physical exam (25:03 )
4. Neurological system and exam (33:45 )
5. Muscular system (39:57 )
- Explaining what “reference ranges” means when it comes to lab work (41:30 )
- A deep dive into nutrients (43:51 )
- What tests can be run to determine micronutrient levels (53:43 )
6. Cardiovascular health (56:08 )
7. Metabolic tests (1:05:52 )
8. Hormones (1:12:35 )
9. Immune function and tests (1:36:17 )
10. Detox system (1:39:17 )
- Mitochondrial health (1:43:39 )
11. Genetics (1:48:03 )
12. Neurological system and health (1:52:22 )
13. Anti-aging (1:52:46 )
- How to learn more about working with Dr. Mary (1:57:13 )
For more on Dr. Mary, be sure to follow her on Instagram @dr.marypardee, check out her website here, or to schedule an appointment with her, click here. You can check out her OneCommune course on gut health here.
For a comprehensive report of the reference ranges mentioned during this podcast, click here.
Dr. Mary is offering a complimentary Immune Education Virtual Zoom call Tuesday, April 28th, at 12:00 pm PST. This call will focus on natural immune support, herbs, vitamins, minerals, and lifestyle changes that can support you and your family during this time as well as a Q&A session. If you are unable to make the scheduled webinar time, you will be sent a recording of the call to view at your convenience. Sign up here: https://www.modrnmed.com/immunesignup
Sponsor: This episode is sponsored by our partnership with the AquaTru Water Filter. To get exclusive access to this deal visit www.brokenbrain.com/filter
Interested in joining Dhru’s Broken Brain Podcast Facebook Community? Submit your join request here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/2819627591487473/
For more on Dhru Purohit, be sure to follow him on Instagram @dhrupurohit, on Facebook @dhruxpurohit, on Twitter @dhrupurohit, and on YouTube @dhrupurohit. You can also text Dhru at (302) 200-5643 or click here https://my.community.com/dhrupurohit
See acast.com/privacy for privacy and opt-out information.