106: The Plex Situation Just got Worse
Our thoughts on two recent Plex crackdowns, why the Apple TV just got a lot better, how home Assistant could improve 10 years in, and much more.
- 45drives: The HL15 from 45HomeLab is an open-source, open-platform, 15-bay homelab server.
- Linode: Receive a $100 60-day credit towards your new account. Promo Code: linode.com/ssh
- Tailscale: Tailscale is a Zero config VPN. It installs on any device in minutes, manages firewall rules for you, and works from anywhere. Get 3 users and 100 devices for free.
- ⚡ Alby: Your Boost companion for the web — Create an Alby Account to get a lightning wallet for payments wherever you go.
- ⚡ Self-Hosted on the Podcastindex.org — Send a Boost into the show via the web. First, top-up Alby, then head over to our entry on the Podcast Index.
- Plex is Cracking Down on Pirated Content — Plex is cracking down on at least one hosting service supporting pirated content in a move that may result in some collateral damage.
- Plex Will Block Media Servers at Abuse Prevalent Hosting Company
- Account banned : PleX — Today I got my account banned in plex "this Plex account has accepted monetary compensation in exchange for services based in part on Plex". Which is totally untrue.
- I need your help with Intel Quick Sync benchmarking! — Please help me benchmark as many Intel CPUs Quick Sync transcoding performance as possible!
- Is Quick Sync Video any good? Media Server Hardware Encoding Tests | Enquire within, help needed! - YouTube — Therefore I'm pleased to announce the first release of a Quick Sync benchmarking script allowing us to do just that.
- Apple TV, now with more Tailscale · Tailscale — The newly released tvOS 17 offers support for VPNs, and we’re proud to say Tailscale is among the first to use this new feature. You can now add your Apple TV directly to your tailnet, unlocking three powerful new use cases that we’re excited to share.
- Use Tailscale on your Apple TV! - YouTube
- 10 years Home Assistant - Home Assistant — I wasn’t planning on changing the world. It was a playground, a place where I could use the latest technology and explore all the possibilities with Python. But bit by bit Home Assistant gained traction, more contributors joined and we slowly started to build a community.
- Introducing Home Assistant Green — We’ve taken that to heart, and today, we are introducing an affordable way for new users to upgrade their smart homes to Home Assistant. It’s the Home Assistant Green – and it costs only $99 (MSRP).
- Home Assistant Green - Seeed Studio
- A new chapter in the Home Assistant Yellow journey — Unfortunately, Raspberry Pi CM4s are still in short supply. At this point we can’t build enough Home Assistant Yellow (with CM4) to fulfill demand. Unfortunately, we can’t make accurate estimates on when Home Assistant Yellow (with CM4) variants will ship, as we have not gotten delivery dates from Raspberry Pi
- Nest devices get major downgrade as part of legal challenge — This is the latest Nest feature to be nerfed following a legal battle.
- TubesZB – TubesZB Coordinators and Router
- SSH 106 Boost Barn — Thank you Boosters for helping produce episode 106!
Download from Google Play
Download from App Store