117. How a New Life Became a New Business with Claudia Mata
“I think that’s the beauty of being an entrepreneur. When you jump into things, ignorance is bliss.” - Claudia Mata
On this episode of The Leadership Locker, Rich is joined by Vertly founder Claudia Mata. Listen in as they discuss Claudia’s transition from the fashion industry to the CBD industry, living abroad, and how Claudia rediscovered her identity when she founded Vertly.
Claudia Mata was born in El Salvador. She then relocated to New York, eventually becoming the Accessories and Jewelry Director for W Magazine. After moving to Northern California, she founded Vertly with her husband Zander Gladish, creating handcrafted skincare products using CBD and other plant extracts.
Throughout her herbalism education, Claudia studied how various plants, including cannabis, can help our bodies heal and thrive, specifically focusing on skin wellness. She began collaborating with botanical formulators and chemists, blending CBD with fresh healing plant extracts from the garden—and Vertly skincare was born.
- 00:09 – Intro
- 03:14 – About Claudia
- 03:59 – Growing up in El Salvador
- 05:12 – How Claudia got started in the fashion industry
- 06:01 – Living in France
- 07:05 – Working in the fashion industry
- 10:50 – Leaving the fashion industry
- 13:20 – Relocating to Northern California
- 14:19 – Claudia on rediscovering her identity and starting a new business
- 19:31 – Getting into the CBD industry
- 24:54 - Launching a business to solve a problem that you have
- 29:16 – Claudia on working with her husband
- 31:28 – How to get in touch with Claudia
Here is how to get in touch with Claudia:
Connect with Rich: