126: Data Science and Software Engineering Practices ( and Fizz Buzz ) - Joel Grus
Researches and others using data science and software need to follow solid software engineering practices. This is a message that Joel Grus has been promoting for some time.
Joel joins the show this week to talk about data science, software engineering, and even Fizz Buzz.
- Software Engineering practices and data science
- Difficulties with Jupyter notebooks
- Code reviews on experiment code
- Unit tests on experiment code
- Finding bugs before doing experiments
- Tests for data pipelines
- Tests for deep learning models
- Showing researchers the value of tests by showing the bugs found that wouldn't have been found without them.
- "Data Science from Scratch" book
- Showing testing during teaching Data Science
- "Ten Essays on Fizz Buzz" book
- Meditations on Python, mathematics, science, engineerign and design
- Testing Fizz Buzz
- Different algorithms and solutions to an age old interview question.
- If not Fizz Buzz, what makes a decent coding interview question.
- Math requirements for data science
Special Guest: Joel Grus.
- PyCharm Professional: Try PyCharm Pro for 4 months and learn how PyCharm will save you time. Promo Code: TESTANDCODE20