127: Impact beyond the classroom. - Toney Jackson chats with us about making an impact beyond your classroom, exploring everything in education, and why he thinks now is one of the most exciting time
4th grade teacher, poet, and author, Toney Jackson, chats with us about making an impact beyond your classroom, exploring everything in education, and why he thinks now is one of the most exciting times to be a teacher.
Toney shares how he brings his passions into his classroom, how we can accept criticism and use it to be better, and why we need to strive to be at the level of significance.
- 2:41 - Avoiding the "early check out" of being close to Winter break.
- 6:42 - Previewing the episode with Toney Jackson.
- 10:14 - Toney introduces himself.
- 11:27 - Discussing how Toney brings hip-hop and poetry into his classroom.
- 12:38 - Toney's failure: A story from before her started teaching, when he was in a hip-hop group.
- 16:11 - Toney's success: A story about a poet that Toney looks up to, crediting Toney as an inspiration.
- 18:10 - What's keeping Toney excited about education: Seeing that what I do in the classroom has an impact beyond the classroom.
- 19:40 - Toney's advice to teachers: Explore the edu-world.
- 23;37 - 6 questions answered in 15 seconds or less.
- 26:27 - How to connect with Toney.
- EdTech Tool: Flipgrid
- Book: "The Art of Pixar" by Amid Amidi, "Children of Blood and Bone" by Tomi Adeyemi.
- Who to Follow on Instagram: #EduColor #ClearTheList
- YouTube/Podcast/Website/Blog: Cult of Pedagogy and education.microsoft.com
- Daily/Weekly/Monthly Routine: Daily reflection.
- Best piece of advice you've ever received: "People live life at 3 levels: Survival, success, and significance. Strive for and reach the level of significance." - Toney's dad.
Links to Connect With Toney
Send in a voice message: https://anchor.fm/teach-better-talk/message