13: How Material Innovations in Clothing Better Protect Us from the Elements (feat. Dr. Haskell Beckham)
Throughout history, mankind has used clothing to protect itself from the elements. With modern materials science principles in mind, humans are now equipped to protect themselves from the elements better than ever. But how can innovation take place in such a well explored area of consumer products?
Today we talk with Dr. Haskell Beckham, the Senior Director Innovation at Columbia Sportswear, to find out exactly how materials science paradigms are used to develop the next generation of apparel to keep us safe from the elements.
In this exciting conversation about the advances in the apparel industry we discuss:
- The scientific principles that apply in the apparel industry (3:44 )
- Using metals in clothing for their heat transfer properties (11:33 )
- The history of clothing and the tradeoffs between natural and synthetic fibers (15:52 )
- Fashion trends influencing innovations in the apparel industry (28:38 )
- How the International Space Station is a model for heat management in clothing (38:18 )
- Overcoming the challenges of Smart Clothing (40:00 )
- And much more!
Want to discuss these topics further with Dr. Haskell Beckham? He can be reached at: https://www.linkedin.com/in/hbeckham/
For shorter segments, subscribe to our channel on YouTube. For bloopers, audiograms, and interesting materials science articles, follow us on Instagram, LinkedIn, and Twitter. Feel free to DM us @itsamaterialworldpodcast if you have any feedback or recommendations for future episodes or email us directly at email@example.com. Finally, reach out to Tom Miller and Punith Upadhya on LinkedIn if you'd like to chat about the latest breakthroughs in MSE!
Disclaimer: Any opinions expressed by either guests or hosts in this show are their own, and do not represent the opinions of the companies or organizations for which they are affiliated.