#156 All the programming LOLs
Sponsored by DigitalOcean: pythonbytes.fm/digitalocean
Dan #1: Why You Should Use
python -m pip
Michael #3: Python Adopts a 12-month Release Cycle
- The long discussion on changing the Python project's release cadence has come to a conclusion: the project will now be releasing new versions on an annual basis.
- Described in PEP 602
- The steering council thinks that having a consistent schedule every year when
- we hit beta, RC, and final it will help the community:
- Know when to start testing the beta to provide feedback
- Known when the expect the RC so the community can prepare their projects for the final release
- Know when the final release will occur to coordinate their own releases (if necessary) when the final release of Python occurs
- Allow core developers to more easily plan their work to make sure work lands in the release they are targeting
- Make sure that core developers and the community have a shorter amount of time to wait for new features to be released
Dan #4: Black 19.10b0 Released — stable release coming soon
- “Black Friday” release date? https://twitter.com/llanga/status/1189145837991014402
- Playground: https://black.now.sh/
Cecil 5: Navigating code on GitHub
- Example: https://github.com/talkpython/100daysofcode-with-python-course/blob/master/days/10-12-pytest/guess/guess.py
Michael #6: lolcommits: selfies for software developers.
- lolcommits takes a snapshot with your webcam every time you git commit code, and archives a lolcat style image with it. git blame has never been so much fun.
- Infinite uses: Animate your progress through a project and watch as you age. See what you looked like when you broke the build. Keep a joint lolrepository for your entire company.
- Plugins: Lolcommits allows a growing list of plugins to perform additional work on your lolcommit image after capturing.
- Animate: Configure lolcommits to generate an animated GIF with each commit for extra lulz!
- Article & Course on Python 3.8
- New Anvil course, free one - https://talkpython.fm/anvil
- PSF yearly survey is out: https://twitter.com/thepsf/status/1190004772704784385