157: The Money Date: What You Should (And Definitely Should Not) Do to Align Your Finances as a Couple
Calling all couples! You and your partner may be on the same page financially, or off in two different directions, regardless of where you’re at, it’s a great time to start having money dates!
In this episode, Mindy and Scott are going solo, talking through why money dates are such a crucial part of any healthy relationship. This isn’t just talk, both Mindy and Scott are adamant about money dates, they do them often with their partners as well!
If you’re an individual listening to this episode, you may feel a bit intimidated by the concept of a money date. Do you just sit down and talk about index funds and taxes for an hour? No! A money date can be a perfect time to be alone as a couple, talk about the future, make some positive changes, and hold each other accountable for being the best version of yourselves.
If you have a partner who may be a bit averse to the concept of a money date, have no fear, Mindy and Scott have perfected their plan for setting up a successful money date, and how to make it enjoyable when you’re in it.
With the new year coming up very soon, this is the perfect time to plan a money date with your special someone, you won’t regret it!
In This Episode We Cover
- What is a “money date”
- What to do before you suggest a money date to your partner
- How to make the money date successful and what topics to bring up
- Following up on your money date and setting up systems for success
- The importance of keeping your ideas simple in a money date
- How to present the idea to a partner who may not be too keen on finances
- Why money dates help create healthier, happier relationships
- And So Much More!
Links from the Show
- BiggerPockets Money Facebook Group
- BiggerPockets Forums
- Wheel of Life Worksheet
- Money Date Template
- Finance Review Guest Onboarding
Check the full show notes here: https://www.biggerpockets.com/moneyshow157