160: Deep Dive | Why Does Self-Help Make You Feel Terrible?
Gabriel Mizrahi (@GabeMizrahi) joins us for this deep dive into why a lot of self-help makes you feel miserable by design and what you can do to improve yourself without being suckered by hucksters or succumbing to an existential meltdown.
What We Discuss with Gabriel Mizrahi:
- Why so-called "self-help" often makes you feel worse about yourself than before you sought it.
- How to separate actionable self-help from motivational "hustle porn" designed to prompt emotions and elicit sales.
- Why those inspirational bromides you’re seeing all over Instagram might goad you into short-term action, but won't do much for you over the long haul.
- Striving to improve yourself is admirable and encouraged -- just don't get suckered into the myth that there's a finish line.
- How to consume genuine self-help without being miserable while avoiding the big business con-artistry that pervades this space.
- And much more...
Sign up for Six Minute Networking -- our free networking and relationship development mini course -- at jordanharbinger.com/course!
Get two months of Skillshare -- unlimited access to over 18,000 classes in design, business, technology, photography, entrepreneurship, film, writing, and more -- for free at skillshare.com/harbinger!
Need custom graphics, logos, or Web design? Access a community of 600,000+ designers by registering at designcrowd.com/jordan and enjoy up to $100 off with The Jordan Harbinger Show bonus offer!
Tommy John has tailored, fit, and fashionable undershirts, camis, wedgie-free underwear, and more for him and her. Visit tommyjohn.com/jordan for 20 percent off your first order!
Like this show? Please leave us a review here -- even one sentence helps! Consider including your Twitter handle so we can thank you personally!