188. Gregg Metcalf: Tapping Into Opportunities Through Commercial Brokers
Today I’m talking to Gregg Metcalf of JLL. Gregg is based in Atlanta and Not a broker who sells homes. He is a commercial broker in representing companies leasing office space.
Gregg is on the show today to share with us, opportunities for residential agents through commercial agents.
A broker for over 20 years, Gregg started by representing landlords, first of residential multifamily, and soon after, landlords of office buildings.
This leads the opportunity he took in 2003 to take on the role of a developer in commercial real estate of office and industrial space.
As a developer, he was also a landlord and didn’t just gain insight but experienced and knows exactly how landlords make decisions. This leads to the beginning of his great success today. As the market turned in the Great Recession of 2009, his new path was clear. In 2010, he began representing the tenants who lease the spaces from the landlords he so well understood. Gregg now represents corporations such as CohnReznick, a top accounting firm in the world, and other companies for whom he represents office leases across the country and the globe. Not to be left out, he leads and represented the relocation of Mercedes to Atlanta in 2015
Today, he and I talk about, how to tap into opportunities with commercial brokers, from basic referrals to major corporate relations.
- Gregg Metcalf: What a commercial real estate broker do (03:21 )
- The concept of commercial agent (05:18 )
- Does the business actually own it? (08:05 )
- The questions that Gregg asks his client (16:32 )
- What is it that causes a company to relocate in the first place (23:48 )
- COVID-19: is that affecting the industry? (26:15 )
- Work from home vs work from the office (31:08 )
- The Final Three (39:53 )
- Gregg's biggest secret that helps to develop high-level business so quickly. (41:50 )
Resources / People Mentioned:
"So what I would say to everybody is it's great that you all send referrals to each other in the residential world, but don't miss out on the opportunity to create the same kind of relationship in particularly the office world."
Jere interviews the world’s most renowned and best real estate agents around the country and the world.
These outstanding Agents tell their stories, how they got into the business, and what has made them successful in one of the oldest and most competitive industries.
All of this on the “Jere Metcalf Podcast, Top Real Estate Agents tell how they do it.”
Jere Metcalf Partners