2: Orna Farrell: Supporting learners and lecturers alike in their portfolio journey
Dr Orna Farrell is a researcher at Dublin City University whose portfolio history goes back to 2008. Since then she's taught courses using portfolios and conducted numerous studies involving portfolios. Her interests lie in supporting learners and lecturers alike, also using open education strategies.
See the episode page for the transcript.
Connect with Orna
- Borton's reflective framework 'What? So what? Now what?'
- Ebook 'Eportfolio based assessment: Inspiring exploration and supporting evaluation for practitioners'
- Ebook 'Exploring the diversity of ePortfolio practice: An international sharing of practice, activities, and assessment'
- femedtech open letter
- Holy Grail of Rubrics
- Photos from the 2018 unconference
- Special issue on ePortfolios in IJTEL
- The learning portfolio in higher education: A game of snakes and ladders
- Universal Design for Learning
Portfolios at DCU
PhD thesis and selected articles
- PhD thesis 'Developing critical thinking through eportfolio based learning: an exploration of the experiences of non-traditional online distance learners'
- Farrell, O. (2018). Failure to Launch: The unfulfilled promise of eportfolios in Irish Higher Education
- Farrell, O., & Seery, A., (2019). “I am not simply learning and regurgitating information, I am also learning about myself”: Learning portfolio practice and online distance students
- Farrell, O., (2020). From Portafoglio to Eportfolio: The Evolution of Portfolio in Higher Education
- Farrell, O., Buckley, K., Donaldson, L., & Farrelly, T. (2021). Eportfolio in Ireland: A landscape snapshot of current practice
Subscribe to the monthly newsletter about Mahara and portfolios.
Production: Catalyst IT
Host: Kristina Hoeppner
Artwork: Evonne Cheung
Music: The Mahara tune by Josh Woodward