2 Things to Separate You from the "Me Too" Agencies
Are you looking for a way to stand out as "the choice" instead of "a choice"? Do you want your agency prospects to view you as more than just one of the "me too" agencies? In a space where everyone's the same, you have to figure out what makes you different. Then leverage that difference to win more agency clients.
In this episode, we'll cover:
- Stop being one of the "me too" agencies.
- How your agency's vision can help you land more clients.
- How you can position your agency as a trusted advisor.
Today I sat down for a really important discussion with Robert Pepper, strategy partner and co-founder of PSLondon, a 13- year old digital marketing agency based out of London. After nearly 20 years working on the client side of projects, Robert and his partner decided to start an agency of their own. He's here to talk about what his agency has done to stand out in such a competitive field.
How to Stop Being One of the "Me Too" Agencies
When Robert and his partner started their agency, they knew they needed to find a way to make clients choose them above everyone else. There's no shortage of options for clients when it comes to choosing an agency. And often, price is the only thing that separates one agency from the next. So what can you do to make your agency stand out from the rest?
- Be authentic: Robert says he and his partner agreed they had to do something authentic to who they were. They both knew they were interested in client outcomes and wanted to be measured by what keeps their clients up at night. From his years on the client-side, Robert knew he wanted to create a way of existing so clients knew the agency was on their side and focused on the results they wanted. Figure out what your agency stands for. Create a vision, know your values, and understand what type of clients you want to work with.
- Look forward, not back. PS London created its strategy based on a proposition called future thinking. This means their agency focuses on what their clients want to achieve at the end of the day instead of the obstacles that have stood in their way in the past. Robert uses the analogy of driving a car. You spend more time looking ahead of you in the 6-foot windshield and occasionally look behind you in the 6-inch rearview mirror. Proportionately, that is how PSLondon helps their clients look forward and not back.
How Your Agency's Vision Can Help Land More Clients
You can go into a pitch meeting promising the world, but guess what, other agencies are doing the exact same thing. However, when you tie your agency's vision and purpose into the pitch, you will stand apart. This is why it is so important to understand who you are as an agency.
Robert says he's never had a problem getting clients to buy in at the early stages because everyone is interested in the future. When you can go into a meeting and tell a client "this is what we do and this is how we can help you," they're going to have an easier time signing on.
How to Position Your Agency as a Trusted Advisor
The real challenge comes when you sign on a client and have to figure out a way to measure and deliver results. A lot of clients don't know what they want or how to define it so it's your job to help them figure it out.
The most important goal of an agency is building a relationship which helps your client achieve their goals. You provide a service, and ultimately, it's the client who makes the final decision. Too many agencies focus on themselves when most clients just want to know you share the same goals. When you make the client the superhero and not you, they're more likely to stick around.
There are so many ways you can help your agency stand out from the crowd. But ultimately, the most important thing you can do is know who you are. When you understand what makes you valuable and different from anyone else, it will be easier for your clients to see it as well.
Ready to See How Your Agency Financials Stack Up?
Agency Dad is the accounting and forecasting solution designed specifically for agencies. And for a limited time, Smart Agency listeners can get a FREE AUDIT so you can compare your agency's financials to the industry benchmarks.
When you know your numbers you can make smart decisions in order to grow your agency. Agency Dad will take you to the next level with bookkeeping, financial dashboarding, and forecasting built specifically for agencies.
Head over to AgencyDad.money/freeaudit/ to receive a free audit on your agency's financials.