2.9 The Writing on the Wall
This week on Podtrificus Totalus, a Harry Potter podcast done chapter by chapter, book by book, Cassie and Joe debate whether Squibs should be allowed to attend Hogwarts for chapter nine of Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, “The Writing on the Wall.”
Having just been discovered at the scene of Mrs. Norris’s petrification, Harry, Ron, and Hermione are interrogated by their professors about their involvement. They’re released, but they have questions about the Chamber of Secrets that need answering–and a mystery they have to solve before all the Muggle-born students in the school are targeted.
We make a number of references to outside sources, which are listed below:
- Transmogrify in the Oxford English Dictionary
- Everything you need to know about Squibs on Wizarding World
- Squib in the Oxford English Dictionary
- Professor Binns on the Harry Potter Lexicon
- Rowling’s planning document for Prisoner of Azkaban, which includes a first name for Professor Binns on the Harry Potter Lexicon (spoiler warning for Prisoner of Azkaban)
- Rowling on the inspiration for Professor Binns (1998)
- Hogwarts Ghosts on Wizarding World
- Godric Gryffindor on the Harry Potter Wiki
- July 2007 Wizard of the Month on J.K. Rowling’s Official Site, archived by the Wayback Machine
- The Giant Squid is Godric Gryffindor in disguise on J.K. Rowling’s Official Site, archived by the Wayback Machine
- Helga Hufflepuff on the Harry Potter Wiki
- May 2007 Wizard of the Month on J.K. Rowling’s Official Site, archived by the Wayback Machine
- Salazar Slytherin’s namesake on J.K. Rowling’s Twitter
- The stories of the Hogwarts founders on Wizarding World
- Salazar Slytherin reconciled with the other founders toward the end of his life on the Harry Potter Lexicon
- Rowena Ravenclaw on the Harry Potter Wiki
- Rowena Name Meaning on Nameberry
- Rowena Ravenclaw on the Harry Potter Lexicon
- Information on the Harry Potter Token Zone on Beyond Hogwarts
- August 2007 Wizard of the Month on J.K. Rowling’s Official Site, archived by the Wayback Machine
- Ultimate Unofficial Guide to the Mysteries of Harry Potter by Galadriel Waters (Ed. Astre Mithrandir; Published by Wizarding World Press in 2003)
Our Spell of the Week this week is an unnamed Transfiguration spell that Fred uses to transform Ron’s teddy bear into a spider after Ron breaks his toy broomstick.
We encourage our listeners to send emails to email@example.com correcting us, expanding on something we mentioned, asking questions, and sharing their experiences with the Harry Potter series. You can also interact with us through @podtrificus on Twitter, our Facebook page, or by leaving a comment below.
We are also available on podcast services. You can subscribe to us via Apple Podcasts, Google Play, Pocket Casts, Spotify, and more — just search us on your favorite podcast app or use the direct link to our feed. Hit the subscribe buttons on our website to make sure you don’t miss out on new episodes of Podtrificus Totalus.
Thanks for listening and we’ll see you again for 2.10, “The Rogue Bludger!” Have a magical day!