#204 Gestational Diabetes with Lily Nichols, RDN
This week I continue our Women's Fertility Month with return guest Lily Nichols, RDN to discuss Gestational Diabetes, a deep dive into why and how to manage blood sugar levels in pregnancy. Lily shares information for pregnant women and practitioners alike. Lily's no nonsense approach is research based and results driven.
- Current guidelines and changes over the years
- Guidelines are contradictory in some areas and due for an update
- Why do we treat with high carbs when we fail a glucose tolerance test?
- Shift to "Eat to the meter" instead of generic recommendations
- Blood sugar as a biometric meter- can we all benefit?
- Lily's recommendation vs Keto Diet
- Measuring ketones- urine vs blood
- Some ketosis in pregnancy is normal- do not want to be in starvation ketosis or DKA
- Changes and Stages of Blood Sugar levels in pregnancy (up to 20% LOWER than normal)
- Micronutrients for insulin sensitivity
GUEST SHARED HELPFUL TIPS ON:
- Match your carb intake to how much your body can handle
- Talking to clients "Tell me what you've learned about your blood sugar"
- Empowering your clients
- Nutritional needs during pregnancy
- Optimal blood sugar levels
- Managing food and blood sugars "Eat to the meter"
- Practitioners implementing updated guidelines
MENTIONED ON THIS EPISODE:
- Real Food for Gestational Diabetes Book by Lily Nichols
- Real Food For Pregnancy Book by Lily Nichols
A huge thank you Full Well Prenatal for sponsoring this podcast. Because of sponsors like you, we are able to offer vital information to our audience. Visit Fullwellfertility.com and use the code LESSSTRESSED to get a discount on your order.
Lily Nichols is a Registered Dietitian/Nutritionist, Certified Diabetes Educator, researcher, and author with a passion for evidence-based prenatal nutrition and exercise. Her work is known for being research-focused, thorough, and unapologetically critical of outdated dietary guidelines. Her work has not only helped tens of thousands of women manage their gestational diabetes (most without the need for blood sugar-lowering medication), but has also influenced nutrition policies internationally. She is the author of two bestselling books Real Food for Gestational Diabetes and most recently Real Food for Pregnancy, which outlines the problems with current prenatal nutrition guidelines and provides the evidence—over 930 citations—that support a real food diet to optimize maternal and fetal health..
WHERE TO FIND LILY:
on IG @lilynicholsrdn
WHERE TO FIND CHRISTA:
Join us on Instagram
Shop our Favorites
Loving the podcast? Leave us a review!
Sharing & reviewing this podcast is the BEST way to help us succeed with our mission to help integrate the best of East & West empower you to raise the bar on your health story. Just go to https://reviewthispodcast.com/lessstressedlife