#205 COVID Cakes and Hot Takes with Rahul Ganatra MD
Rundown of recent COVID articles and news stories including: Hydroxychloroquine and azithromycin, serologic testing, use of convalescent plasma, economic inequality / health disparities... and COVID in cats?! We’re joined by Curbsider/Internist/Epidemiologist, Rahul Ganatra MD, @rbganatra (VA Boston) who provides critical appraisal of the article that inspired Trump’s infamous hydroxychloroquine and azithromycin comment. Plus, @Paulnwilliamz and @cjchiu give us some telehealth along with the usual antics.
- Written, Produced by: Rahul Ganatra MD, Chris Chiu MD, FACP, FAAP; Matthew Watto MD, FACP; Paul Williams MD, FACP
- Cover Art and Show Notes by: Matthew Watto MD, FACP
- Hosts: Chris Chiu MD, FACP, FAAP; Matthew Watto MD, FACP; Paul Williams MD, FACP
- Editor: Matthew Watto MD
- Guest: Rahul Ganatra MD
- 00:00 Intro, COVID-19 and cats by Shi J Science Apr 2020; Picks of the week: Kimberly Manning thread Frontline-ish; Steak Umm thread; Some Good News YouTube Channel by John Krazinski
- 07:08 Telehealth (Greenhalgh BMJ 2020), Breathlessness (Roth score calculator), ACP COVID-19 resource site
- 11:50 Telehealth best practices: Postpone routine therapy, Choose therapy that doesn’t require monitoring Treat empirically, Only order tests that will change management, Keep people out of the ED (see attached); Doximity dialer for video calls is in Beta testing
- 16:42 Convalescent plasma and Serology (Chenguang JAMA “Trial” of Convalescent Plasma; Nat’l Academy Sciences 10 pt study; COVID-19 Insights Blog by Bill Rodriguez; FDA Press Release re: SARS-CoV-2 Serologic Testing; FDA Emergency Auth for Rapid IgG/IgM
- 21:45 Chris discusses the decontamination of N95 masks using CCDS (CCDS, Battele news Report)
- 23:45 Inequality during the pandemic VOX and NYTimes articles on inequality
- 25:30 Hydroxychloroquine background; Rahul provides critical appraisal for HCQ + azithromycin article from France (Gautret et al IJAA 2020) and Rahul’s tweetorial
- 49:18 Pre-print data; Rahul discusses a newer HCQ randomized clinical trial article (Chen medRxiv 2020)
- 43:05 Outro
Listeners will hone their skills in critical appraisal as they update themselves on all things COVID-19
After listening to this episode listeners will...
- Discuss the limitations in the evidence for hydroxychloroquine and azithromycin as treatment for COVID-19
- Discuss some challenges of telehealth during the COVID-19 pandemic
- Be aware of racial disparities during the COVID-19 pandemic
- Explain the rationale for serologic testing and the use of convalescent plasma in COVID-19 disease
Dr Ganatra reports no relevant financial disclosures. The Curbsiders report no relevant financial disclosures.
Ganatra R, Williams PN, Chiu CJ, Watto MF. “#205 COVID Cakes and Hotakes with Rahul Ganatra MD”. The Curbsiders Internal Medicine Podcast. https://thecurbsiders.com/episode-list April 10, 2020.