#209 LIVE! Twitter, Social Media and Digital Scholarship
LIVE! from VCU, we discuss why and how to use Twitter and other Social Media platforms as a clinician educator. Guest Michelle Brooks MD (@michellebrooksMD, VCU) shares her Twitter origin story along with pearls on how to use Twitter for digital scholarship #meded, networking and how to stay out of trouble on social media.
Check out this recent paper on Twitter in #Meded by Dr. Brooks and friends [Drs. Rebecca Jaffe, Tony Breu, Charlie Wray, Margaret Chapman and Avital O’Glasser (Kashlak Chief of Periop Medicine)]!
- Written and Produced by: Matthew Watto MD, FACP
- Infographic: Michelle Brooks MD
- Cover Art: Matthew Watto MD, FACP
- Hosts: Stuart Brigham MD; Matthew Watto MD, FACP; Paul Williams MD, FACP
- Editor: Clair Morgan of nodderly.com
- Guest: Michelle Brooks MD
We are excited to announce that the Curbsiders are now partnering with VCU Health Continuing Education to offer continuing education credits for physicians and other healthcare professionals. Check out https://curbsiders.vcuhealth.org/ for more information.
- 00:00 Guest one liner, favorite failure, career advice,
- 08:08 Picks of the week*: Culture Code (book) by Daniel Coyle; Crucial Conversations (book); Teaching Naked (book); Dark Crystal (Netflix series); The Outsider (HBO series)
- 11:23 Case of Sosh Al Media; Landscape of social media; Control your digital footprint; Public vs Private profiles
- 23:04 Negative aspects of social media
- 26:44 How to utilize Twitter for medical education; Twitter basics; Milton Packer
- 37:14 Pros and Cons of #medtwitter
- 42:02 Tweetorials
- 44:28 Audience questions: Repercussions from posting on social media; Social Media fellowships; Advocacy on social media
- 51:34 Outro
*The Curbsiders participates in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising commissions by linking to Amazon. Simply put, if you click on our Amazon.com links and buy something we earn a (very) small commission, yet you don’t pay any extra.
Listeners will develop a framework on how Twitter can be used for scholarship and medical education.
After listening to this episode listeners will...
- Define the landscape of digital media platforms available to the modern medical educator
- Discuss how digital platforms can be used to promote career development through digital scholarship
- Explain how Twitter is being used to disseminate medical education, future directions and concerns that have been raised.
Dr Brooks reports no relevant financial disclosures. The Curbsiders report no relevant financial disclosures.
Brooks M, Williams PN, Brigham SK, Watto MF. “#209 LIVE! Twitter, Social Media and Digital Scholarship”. The Curbsiders Internal Medicine Podcast. https://thecurbsiders.com/episode-list Final publishing date April 23, 2020.