20Growth: Biggest Growth Lessons from Reddit and Zynga on Scaling to Millions of Users | Why, When and How To Hire Your First Growth Hires | The Biggest Mistakes Founders Make In Hiring, Onboarding and Integration for Growth Teams with Vaibhav Sahgal, VP
Vaibhav Sahgal is VP of Consumer Product @ Reddit where he has been for close to 5 years. Prior to his leading consumer product, Vaibhav spent 3 years as Head of Growth at Reddit. Before Reddit, Vaibhav spent an incredible 8 years at Zynga across different roles including Director of Product and GM for "Words with Friends".
In Today's Episode with Vaibhav Sahgal We Discuss:
1.) Entry into Product + Growth:
- How did Vaibhav come to lead some of the best growth orgs in the world at both Reddit and Zynga?
- What are 1-2 of Vaibhav's biggest takeaways from working with Mark Pincus @ Zynga?
- What is the most painful growth lesson that Vaibhav learned that he is also pleased to have learned?
2.) WTF Really is "Growth":
- How does Vaibhav define growth today? What is it not?
- How does Vaibhav fundamentally differentiate between value connection and value creation?
- Is growth an art or a science? What tactics have died a death? What remains stronger than ever?
3.) Hiring Your Growth Team:
- How does Vaibhav advise founders on when is the right time to hire their first growth professionals?
- Where should they sit within the org? In product? In marketing? Standalone growth team?
- What are the biggest mistakes Vaibhav sees founders make when hiring their first growth hires?
4.) The Interview Process:
- How does Vaibhav structure the interview process for all new growth hires? What are the steps?
- What are the must-ask questions when hiring for growth? What are good answers?
- How can founders use case studies and data to determine the quality of a growth candidate?
5.) The Onboarding and Integration:
- What is the optimal onboarding process for all new growth hires?
- What are signs in the first 3 days that a growth hire will vs will not work out?
- What can leaders do to ensure growth hires are integrated with the rest of the teams?
- What are the biggest mistakes founders make when onboarding growth hires?
Items Mentioned in Today's Episode:
Vaibhav's Favourite Book: Andrew Chen: The Cold Start Problem