#211 COVID Cakes: Remdesivir, Anticoagulation, and Transmission
In this episode we tackle treatment with remdesivir, management with anticoagulation, and presymptomatic transmission. Welcome back to COVID Cakes, a rundown of recent COVID articles and news stories. What does the latest Gilead medication have to offer? Why should we wear masks? And if you thought 6 feet was THE safe distance…we’ve got some bad news about running. But it’s not all bad! We’re joined by everyone’s favorite Curbsider/Internist/Epidemiologist, Rahul Ganatra MD MPH (@rbganatra), who provides critical appraisal of the newest COVID-19 treatment article. Pull up a chair, bring your own syrup, and join us!
Listeners can claim Free CME credit through VCU Health at curbsiders.vcuhealth.org/ (CME goes live at 0900 ET on the episode’s release date).
- Producer: Sarah P. Roberts MPH, Rahul Ganatra MD MPH, Emi Okamoto MD
- Writer: Emi Okamoto MD, Rahul Ganatra MD MPH,
- Cover Art: Chris Chiu MD
- Hosts: Chris Chiu MD, Rahul Ganatra MD MPH, Emi Okamoto MD
- Editor: Matthew Watto MD (written materials); Clair Morgan of nodderly.com
If you’re a healthcare worker looking for an opportunity to volunteer with the COVID relief efforts or you’ve been furloughed and are in need of work, please check out apollohct.com to see jobs and volunteer opportunities in your area and across the states. All you have to do is make a profile, input your preferences, and Apollo will do the searching for you.
VCU Health Continuing Education
We are excited to announce that the Curbsiders are now partnering with VCU Health Continuing Education to offer continuing education credits for physicians and other healthcare professionals. Check out curbsiders.vcuhealth.org for more information.
- 00:00 Sponsors, Intro, disclaimer
- 02:30 Picks of the Week
- 6:36 Remdesivir trial rundown
- 21:52 Thrombosis in COVID-19
- 29:50 Asymptomatic/Presymptomatic transmission
- 41:42 Quick takes
- 49:00 Outro
Picks of the Week / Links
Listeners will hone their skills in critical appraisal as they update themselves on all things COVID-19
After listening to this episode listeners will...
- Critically appraise recent research on remdesivir as a treatment for COVID-19
- Review emerging literature and guidelines on thrombotic complications of COVID-19
- Interpret new data on asymptomatic transmission of COVID-19
The Curbsiders report no relevant financial disclosures.
Ganatra R, Chiu CJ, Okamoto E, Roberts SP, Watto MF. “COVID Cakes: Remdesivir, anticoagulation, and presymptomatic transmission”. The Curbsiders Internal Medicine Podcast. https://thecurbsiders.com/episode-list April 29, 2020.