#213 Fatigue for Primary Care with Nina Mingioni MD
Listen as our esteemed guest Dr. Nina Mingioni walks us through her approach to fatigue, from differential diagnosis, to the evidence behind physical exam, laboratory workup, and beyond!
Listeners can claim Free CME credit through VCU Health at curbsiders.vcuhealth.org/ (CME goes live at 0900 ET on the episode’s release date).
- Writer, Producer, Infographic, and Cover Art: Hannah R. Abrams
- Hosts: Hannah R Abrams, Matthew Watto MD, FACP; Paul Williams MD, FACP
- Editor: Matthew Watto MD, FACP (written materials); Clair Morgan of nodderly.com
- Guest: Nina Mingioni MD, FACP
We are excited to announce that the Curbsiders are now partnering with VCU Health Continuing Education to offer continuing education credits for physicians and other healthcare professionals. Check out curbsiders.vcuhealth.org/ for more information.
- 00:00 Intro, disclaimer, guest bio and a bad pun
- 03:00 Guest one-liner
- 07:10 Case from Kashlak, Defining fatigue; Taking a general history
- 11:36 Most common causes of fatigue and how to elicit them from the history
- 20:39 Physical exam for fatigue; Medications that cause fatigue;
- 25:25 Exam findings and LRs for anemia; Sleep apnea
- 30:55 Lab workup for fatigue; Expanded testing: Ferritin, Vitamins, EBV, Rheumatologic diseases, Celiac disease, Lyme
- 47:55 Spiel to the patient when no answer is found
- 51:14 Other diagnoses to consider: Fibromyalgia, Myalgic Encephalomyelitis
- 55:09 Take home points and Outro
Listeners will develop an approach to caring for patients with fatigue symptoms.
After listening to this episode listeners will…
- Identify top causes of fatigue
- Develop an evidence-based approach to assessing a patient with fatigue
- Describe evidence-based screening tools for fatigue
Dr. Mingioni reports no relevant financial disclosures. The Curbsiders report no relevant financial disclosures.
Mingioni N, Abrams HR, Williams PN, Watto MF. “#213 Fatigue for Primary Care with Nina Mingioni MD”. The Curbsiders Internal Medicine Podcast. https://thecurbsiders.com/episode-list. Air date May 11, 2020.