#215 Medical Myths: Challenge Dogma with Dr. Douglas Paauw
Chase that metronidazole with a beer! Pop some 30 year old pills! Retrain your brain as our esteemed guest Dr. Douglas Paauw goes over his popular annual ACP presentation on Medical Myths. Learn about how some common medical myths originate and continue in our practice. We discuss why it’s okay to drink on metronidazole, take expired medications, inject epinephrine into extremities and why recurrent sinusitis may not really exist.
Listeners can claim Free CME credit through VCU Health at curbsiders.vcuhealth.org/ (CME goes live at 0900 ET on the episode’s release date).
- Written and Produced by: Justin Berk, MD MPH MBA
- Infographic and Cover Art: Beth Garbitelli
- Hosts: Justin Berk, MD, MPH, MBA; Matthew Watto MD, FACP; Paul Williams MD, FACP
- Editor: Emi Okamoto MD (written materials); Clair Morgan of nodderly.com
- Guest: Douglas Paauw, MD
We are excited to announce that the Curbsiders are now partnering with VCU Health Continuing Education to offer continuing education credits for physicians and other healthcare professionals. Check out curbsiders.vcuhealth.org/ for more information.
- 00:00 Intro, disclaimer, guest bio
- 02:22 Guest one-liner; Career Advice, Picks of the Week*: Being Mortal, book by Atul Gawande; The Band Played On, book by Randy Shilts; Lagunitas Hoppy Refresher: zero alcohol, zero calories!
- 06:15 Medical Myth Definitions
- 10:20 Dogma: Metronidazole and Alcohol; Healthy RCT Metronidazole and Alcohol
- 19:09 Expired Medications; Military Stockpiling Study
- 24:22 Aspirin and Nitroglycerin; Unopened eye drops; Epi-Pens; Expired Med Recap
- 31:13 Sinus Headaches; Trigeminal Nerve; Pearl: Recurrent headaches; Study showing Effectiveness of treatment (92%)
- 41:07 Epinephrine in extremity; RCT of Epi in Extremities
- Study showing Experts use it; Podiatry journal
- 48:39 Take home points and Outro
*The Curbsiders participates in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising commissions by linking to Amazon. Simply put, if you click on our Amazon.com links and buy something we earn a (very) small commission, yet you don’t pay any extra.
Listeners will challenge the dogma of specific medical practices that have been spread without evidence basis.
After listening to this episode listeners will...
- Counsel patients taking metronidazole on alcohol use
- Describe the risks associated with taking expired medications
- Diagnose and treat commonly defined “sinus headaches”
- Describe the risks associated with epinephrine injections in the extremities
Dr Paauw reports no relevant financial disclosures. The Curbsiders report no relevant financial disclosures.
Pauuw D, Berk J, Williams PN, Watto MF. “#215 Medical Myths: Challenge Dogma with Dr. Douglas Paauw”. The Curbsiders Internal Medicine Podcast. https://thecurbsiders.com/episode-list May 25, 2020.