#217 COVID Cakes the Fourth: ACTT-1, Triple Therapy, PCR, Serology
Stay current with the emerging COVID-19 research including: ACTT-1 (remdesivir), triple therapy with interferon, and conundrums about SARS-CoV-2 PCR and serologic testing. We’re led by the one and only Curbsider/internist/epidemiologist, Rahul Ganatra MD MPH (@rbganatr). And...just in case you live outside of the habitat for murder hornets and your anxiety about the pandemic had begun to abate, we touch on the CDCs guidance to beware of hungry aggressive rats. Gross!
- Written and Produced by: Rahul Ganatra MD, MPH, Deborah J. Gorth ScM, Emi Okamoto MD, Sarah P. Roberts MPH, and Matthew Watto MD
- Cover Art: Deborah J. Gorth ScM
- Hosts: Matthew Watto MD, Rahul Ganatra MD MPH, Emi Okamoto MD, and Sarah P. Roberts MPH
- Editor: Matthew Watto MD (written materials); Clair Morgan of nodderly.com
Join the American College of Physicians today! Post-training physicians can take advantage of an exclusive limited-time $100 dues discount. Visit acponline.org/member and use the code ACPDISCOUNT. Discount is only available until June 30, 2020.
VCU Health CE
We are excited to announce that the Curbsiders are now partnering with VCU Health Continuing Education to offer continuing education credits for physicians and other healthcare professionals. Check out curbsiders.vcuhealth.org for more information.
- 00:00 Sponsors
- 00:30 Intro, disclaimer
- 02:40 Fomites, groceries and killer rats
- 08:22 Sponsor
- 09:22 ACTT-1 trial of remdesivir
- 18:22 Triple therapy with lopinavir/ritonavir, ribavarin and interferon
- 33:10 Background on PCR testing for SARS-CoV-2; How common are false negative PCR tests?
- 44:25 Serologic testing for SARS-CoV-2; Utility of antibody testing; Test characteristics
- 50:30 Outro
Listeners will practice their critical appraisal skills as they update themselves on the latest COVID-19 research.
After listening to this episode listeners will...
- Describe the quality of evidence put forth by and the implications of the recent Lancet paper on triple therapy for COVID-19
- Be familiar with the results of the ACTT-1 trial or remdesivir for COVID-19
- Appreciate the complexities of PCR in testing for SARS-CoV2
- Gain insight into the role of serological testing for SARS-CoV2
The Curbsiders report no relevant financial disclosures.
Gorth DJ, Ganatra RB, Okamoto E, Roberts SP, Watto MF. “#217 COVID Cakes 4 the Fourth”. The Curbsiders Internal Medicine Podcast. https://thecurbsiders.com/episode-list. June 1, 2020.