#219 Post-Op Care and Complications with Avital O’Glasser MD
Answers to common questions in post-op care with our Kashlak Chief of Perioperative Medicine Dr. Avital O’Glasser. She provides updates in delirium prevention, perioperative medication management, pain control, and even clarifies a lesson from Meredith Grey about causes of post-op fever.
Listeners can claim Free CE credit through VCU Health at http://curbsiders.vcuhealth.org/ (CME goes live at 0900 ET on the episode’s release date).
- Written: Hannah Abrams MD, Avital O’Glasser MD
- Produced by, Infographic and Cover Art by: Hannah Abrams MD
- Hosts: Hannah Abrams MD; Matthew Watto MD, FACP; Paul Williams MD, FACP
- Editor: Avital O’Glasser MD (written materials); Clair Morgan of nodderly.com
- Guest: Avital O’Glasser MD
Join the ACP Community!
Join the American College of Physicians today! Post-training physicians can take advantage of an exclusive limited-time $100 dues discount. Visit acponline.org/member and use the code ACPDISCOUNT. Discount is only available until June 30, 2020.
VCU Health CE
We are excited to announce that the Curbsiders are now partnering with VCU Health Continuing Education to offer continuing education credits for physicians and other healthcare professionals. Check out curbsiders.vcuhealth.org and create your FREE account!
- 00:00 Sponsors
- 00:30 Intro, disclaimer, guest bio
- 02:53 Guest one-liner, Picks of the Week*: 12 Angry Men 1957 Movie; Hedwig and the Angry Inch Cast Recording; PCSSNow Buprenorphine Waiver Training for Medical Students
- 09:28 Sponsor -Visit acponline.org/member
- 10:17 Kashlak case; How to collaborate with our surgical colleagues
- 13:45 Questions to ask at the time of transfer
- 23:00 Routine Post-Op Care: Bowel regimen, pain control, delirium prevention, glucose, antihypertensives, and nausea
- 44:25 Comanaging Complications and Fever/Tachycardia; Brief discussion of VTE prophylaxis
- 57:55 Outro
*The Curbsiders participates in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising commissions by linking to Amazon. Simply put, if you click on our Amazon.com links and buy something we earn a (very) small commission, yet you don’t pay any extra.
Listeners will effectively comanage perioperative patients with surgical colleagues.
After listening to this episode listeners will…
- Identify effective strategies to improve safety at the time of transfer acceptance.
- Develop an approach for asking appropriate perioperative questions to the surgical team.
- Recognize common mistakes that hospitalists make when accepting a transfer.
- Become familiar with evidence based post-operative care to prevent and treat common post-op complications
- Develop a differential diagnosis and management approach for post-op fever
- Develop a differential diagnosis and management approach for delirium
Dr O’Glasser reports no relevant financial disclosures. The Curbsiders report no relevant financial disclosures.
O’Glasser AY, Abrams HR, Williams PN, Watto MF. “#219 Post-Op Care and Complications with Avital O’Glasser MD”. The Curbsiders Internal Medicine Podcast. https://thecurbsiders.com/episode-list June 15, 2020.