#22 A journey back to health with Naturopathic Nutritional Therapist Keris Marsden
Our bodies have a deep rooted connection with our minds. For a lot of us, this concept isn’t an easy one to grasp and it can be difficult to assume that our mental stressors play a factor in chronic pain or physical ailments.
Today, I sat down with my good friend and Naturopatic Nutritional Therapist, Keris Marsden. For those of you who have been lucky enough to listen to Keris in person or follow some of her work, this recording is a little different. Instead of educating us around our hormonal health and wellbeing, Keris has spent the last year on her own healing journey. In this episode we chat all things alternative medicine, life during lockdown and what role mental health plays in your overall physical health.
As two women in the health and fitness industry, learning how to effectively practice self care and adopt a mindset that benefits our own mental state has been a difficult path. I’m a self proclaimed “recovering perfectionist” and know how hard it can be to break out of those negative thought patterns which carry into our everyday lives.
It’s all too common to focus on the lows, as a previous guest, Emma Hackett explained - nearly 80% of our thoughts are negative and habitual. But reflecting on those thoughts and behaviours doesn’t have to be a daunting exercise if we use that information correctly. A lot of the time when something is awry in our bodies, it’s a signal that something needs help in our minds, and learning how to tune into that information is vital.
If you’re curious to learn more about these topics, grab a cuppa and join us on episode 22 of Fitness UnFiltered!
Some Questions I Ask:
- What has your personal health journey been like? (3:22 )
- What made you decide to look deeper into the issues going on in your body? (8:37 )
- What did your success with Chinese medicine look like? (14:55 )
- What does your future self look like in terms of adopting positive habits? (50:06 )
In This Episode You Will Learn:
- What Electroacupuncture is all about (16:55 )
- How the neuroendocrine immune system plays a role in the mind / body connection (21:48 )
- Gabor Mate’s philosophy on authenticity, Author of “When The Body Says No” (30:08 )
- How our thought patterns affect everything around us + statistics from Emma Hackett (Mental Performance Coach) (40:32 )
- Plus Much More
Get In Touch With Joslyn Thompson Rule:
Get In Touch With Keris Marsden:
- Book - “When the Body Says No” Author, Gabor Mate
- Podcast - Under The Skin with Russell Brand
- Book - “Breaking the Habit of Being Yourself” Author, Dr. Joe Dispenza
- Podcast - “How To Fail” Elizabeth Day
See acast.com/privacy for privacy and opt-out information.