#223 Hot COVID Cakes: COVID19 Disparities, Steroids, Hormones for Depression, Probiotics
This episode is Half COVID Cakes, Half Hotcakes, and entirely enlightening. Our guest Dr. Utibe Essien MD, MPH @UREssien and Curbsider/epidemiologist, Dr. Rahul Ganatra MD, MPH @rbganatra discuss some Hot COVID Cakes including: racial differences in COVID-19 outcomes, why dogs and dexamethasone may hold the key to defeating COVID-19, how hormonal adjunctive therapies might be key for depression, and when to poo-poo probiotics versus when a side of Lactobacillus may be beneficial.
Listeners can claim Free CE credit through VCU Health at curbsiders.vcuhealth.org (CME goes live at 0900 ET on the episode’s release date).
- Written and Produced by: Rahul Ganatra MD, MPH, Emi Okamoto MD; Sarah P. Roberts MPH; and Matthew Watto MD
- Show Notes and CME questions by: Deborah J. Gorth ScM
- Cover Art: Deborah J. Gorth ScM
- Hosts: Matthew Watto MD; Rahul Ganatra MD, MPH, Emi Okamoto MD, and Sarah P. Roberts MPH
- Editor: Matthew Watto MD (written materials); Clair Morgan of nodderly.com
- Guest: Utibe Essien MD, MPH
VCU Health CE
We are excited to announce that the Curbsiders are now partnering with VCU Health Continuing Education to offer continuing education credits for physicians and other healthcare professionals. Check out curbsiders.vcuhealth.org and create your FREE account!
- 00:00 Intro, disclaimer, guest bio
- 02:20 Silver Linings / Picks of the Week: Chicken Run (2000) and Chicken Run 2 on Hulu; Philly Inquirer story on COVID sniffing dogs; Buy some peaches! And check out their Wikipedia page!
- 07:33 Hospitalizations and Mortality Among Black and White patients with COVID-19
- 26:10 Dexamethasone for COVID-19
- 28:55 Hormonal therapy for depression
- 38:16 Probiotics
- 45:00 Outro
Listeners will learn about the role of race in COVID-19 outcomes, possible hormonal adjunctive therapies for depression, and when to recommend probiotics.
After listening to this episode listeners will…
- Learn the effect of race on COVID-19 outcomes.
- Know the indications for adjunctive hormonal treatment for depression.
- Discuss the role of probiotics for the treatment of common gastrointestinal illness.
Dr. Utibe Essien reports no relevant financial disclosures. The Curbsiders report no relevant financial disclosures.
Essien UR, Ganatra RB, Okamoto E, Roberts SP, Gorth DJ, Watto MF. “#223 Hot COVID Cakes: COVID19 Disparities, Steroids, Hormones for Depression, Probiotics”. The Curbsiders Internal Medicine Podcast. https://thecurbsiders.com/episode-list. Original air date July 2, 2020.