23: Goal-Based Enrichment with Elly Neumann, Jerusalem Zoo
This episode is the first of a two part discussion about enrichment with Elly Neumann, Jerusalem Zoo and President Elect of The ABMA. The focus of this episode is Goal-Based Enrichment and the evolution of how we view and implement enrichment opportunities. Elly discusses what goal-based enrichment looks like, how to plan it, how to record it, and how to get a team to buy into it. And make sure you tune in for Elly's "Training (or Enrichment) Tale" about an "enrichment miracle" with a squirrel monkey. For questions or suggestions about the podcast email firstname.lastname@example.org and to reach Elly with questions about the episode or Behavior Month contact email@example.com Let's talk some training!
- 4:30 Intro to Elly
- 7:25 Info on Behavior Month and Engage
- 11:40 What is Enrichment?
- 14:00 What is an EED and why are we moving away from that term?
- 18:50 What is Goal-Based Enrichment?
- 24:50 Starting a Goal-Based Enrichment program
- 32:30 Planning and recording
- 37:50 What is enrichment and what is good husbandry and care?
- 40:00 Team involvement and buy-in
- 46:35 “Training Tale”