25: Discriminative Stimulus/Cues with Daisy Barrett, SEA LIFE Sunshine Coast Aquarium
This episode Daisy Barrett, SEA LIFE Sunshine Coast Aquarium in Australia, discusses the science and application behind the Discriminative Stimulus (Sd)/Cues. Daisy walks through the many different types of Sds, when and how to introduce a cue, and how to adapt Sds as an animal ages. Stay tuned to hear about Daisy and Shane's favorite cues and for Daisy's "Training Tale" with little blue penguins! For questions or suggestions about the podcast email email@example.com. To reach Daisy, you can message her on her social media channels and check out her new podcast, "Trainer Talks and Tails" focusing on all things animal training and conservation! Let's talk some training!
- 5:35 Introduction to Daisy Barrett
- 10:00 Definition of Sd (Discriminative Stimulus)/Cues
- 11:25 Why is it called a Discriminative Stimulus?
- 12:00 Types of Sds/Cues
- 19:45 What needs to be true for something to be a Sd/cue?
- 22:10 How and when to introduce the Sd/cue?
- 24:10 Can a behavior have multiple Sd/cues?
- 27:20 How to tell if an Sd/cue is actually conditioned?
- 29:35 Adapting Sd/cues for aging animals
- 36:05 Training Tales
- 37:55 Information about “Trainer Talks and Tails” Podcast