255: Joseph Sheehey | CBD For the Win!
Joseph Sheehey is the former aerospace engineer turned cannabis wellness entrepreneur. Following several years as a top-ranked national physique competitor, he created the breakout brand Cured which has positively impacted tens of thousands of lives across the nation. Joe is the host of the weekly Cured Collective Podcast. Joe talks to your host Travis Chappell about how he cured his crippling anxiety, the number one way that he grew his CBD business to 7-figures in less than two years, and how listening to podcasts changed his life.
- Joe talks about what it was like for him growing up.
- He was very fortunate and heavily involved in sports and working out.
- He played hockey, basketball, and golf.
- He started interning at Lockheed Martin at 19 years old.
- He pursued the difficult degree of aerospace engineering but partied really hard.
- Partying, drugs, and alcohol began to consume his life.
- His loss of self and poor decisions led him to a suicide attempt.
- He cut ties with everyone in his life to save what he had built.
- Joe’s journey after his suicide attempt when he was ready to change.
- He always had a health and fitness drive that was bullied by his friends.
- He threw himself into fitness and then became really interested in entrepreneurship.
- Joe was about 24 years old when he decided he actually wanted to try and build a business.
- The catalyst for Joe’s starting his business was wanting to share other stories and building their network.
- The tipping point for Joe to start building his business and create a product.
- Joe realized that his definition of healthy was not actually healthy and something needed to change.
- He had one foot in his job and one foot in his entrepreneurial ventures.
- He was beginning to be depressed again and he got sick of not listening to himself.
- Everyone believes in themselves deep down, but it’s hard to remember we’re capable when we’re put in a box.
- The top things Joe did to turn his idea into a multi-million enterprise
- Building a network of people across the nation.
- Understanding that education is so important and you have to step out of your comfort zone.
- Do you believe that what you know or who you know is more important, and why?
- 100% who you know because you can get knowledge quicker from other people.
The Random Round
- What profession other than your own do you think it would be fun to attempt?
- Electronic music producer
- If you could sit on a park bench with anyone for an hour who would it be, and why?
- Elon Musk
- He’s obsessed with the entrepreneurial journey and being a big risk taker
- How do you like to consume content?
- Joe’s go-to podcasts
- Tim Ferriss
- Joe Rogan
- Give us a glimpse of your morning routine?
- Take the dogs out
- Get coffee
- Read a daily entry from The Daily Stoic
- What is something that you are not very good at?
- What is your go-to pump up song?
- The Bass Nectar BassHead
- What is one place where we can find you the most?
- @josephsheehey on Instagram
3 Key Points:
- Don’t let the fear of embarrassment deter you from pursuing what you’re really passionate about.
- You don’t have to have the million dollar idea right now to start taking action toward it.
- You have to give yourself permission, you are worthy of attaining the goals you have set for yourself.
- “Growing up middle class, you’re trained to play it safe.” -Travis
- “I was trying to get people to love me by being a “successful” person, but on the inside, I was completely dead.” -Joseph
- “I thought on the other side of quitting a job was death.” -Joe
- “Humans come in strong... For information regarding your data privacy, visit acast.com/privacy