256: Who or What Part 4 | Jack Canfield, Brad Lea, and Angie Lee
In Part 4 of the Who or What Series Jack Canfield, co-author of the Chicken Soup for the Soul Series, Brad Lea from Lightspeed VT, and Angie Lee from the Angie Lee Show talk to your host Travis Chappell about whether who you know or what you know is more important.
- Jack is not a natural networker, but he learned early on that who you know is the most important thing.
- Both who and what you know are important, but you need to know something of value.
- Know your craft and keep getting better at it.
- If no one knows you’re good at something, it’s useless - market yourself!
- If you’re not compassionate and caring, people will not want to work with you.
- What and who you know is equally important.
- If you have the what without the who and the who without the what then you’re ill-prepared for success.
- If you don’t know anything, a relationship is not as valuable as it could be.
- If you already have a good, solid what, then double down on the who.
- There are a lot of really smart people out there who are not successful because they don’t make connections.
- You have to ask for what you want and show up.
- Most jobs are gained by referral, not resume.
- Angie talks about how a connection has led to a moment of success.
3 Key Points:
1. Whenever you go somewhere, act like a host.
2. If you know nothing, then it doesn’t matter who you know.
3. It’s a blend of knowledge, networking, and asking for what you want and showing up.
- “Provide more value to the people you’re working with, and figure out how to reach more people to provide value to.” -Jack Canfield
- “I know a lot of people, and it doesn’t help me knowing anybody unless I have the what.” -Brad Lea
- “With everything in life it’s who you know that gets you ahead.” -Angie Lee
- “I want to be around who I can trust, so it’s all about who you know.” -Angie Lee
- Visit Travis’ website at Buildyournetwork.co
- Join the Build Your Network Facebook group BYN.media/fb
- Get your free mastermind course from Travis here: Freemmcourse.com/enroll
- Enroll in Travis’ VIP day experience.
- Download Meet Your Hero at travischappell.com/hero
- Explode Your Network at travischappell.com/explode