258: Mark Mastrandrea | Forming a REAL Partnership with Gary Vaynerchuck
Mark Mastrandrea | Forming a REAL Partnership with Gary Vaynerchuck
Mark Mastrandrea has an 8-figure business selling canvas art with his company Ikonick. Mark has been able to do business deals with Gary Vaynerchuck and Justin Bieber’s manager Scooter Braun, as well as gaining licensing deals with some of the top brands out there. In episode 258 of the only business networking podcast on iTunes, Mark talks to your host Travis Chappell about how he formed a working business partnership with Gary Vee and Scooter Braun, why Mark is all about the value add, and why you can’t skip the process.
Mark grew up in middle-class Long Island and was a big soccer player with a tight-knit group of friends.
- Mark talks about the moment that helped him learn that if he puts his mind to something he can achieve it.
- In college, he had to redefine himself and he became a hustler and entrepreneur.
- Mark was a finance major following in his father’s footsteps.
- Mark didn’t view actual classes in school as helpful.
After college Mark’s life tanked for a while.
- He moved to California and was laid off from his job.
- He began a 100% commission sales job.
Why experience is important and you shouldn’t try to get around it.
- People need to start looking at the value exchange, not the time.
- How Mark was able to stop caring about what people thought.
- Why you should audit your circle and audit what you’re consuming.
- How Mark made the pivot and started to dropship art.
- How Shopify and digital market affected Mark’s business.
- Mark and his business partner did the first $2 million in their company part-time.
- Why you need to build an internal reputation with yourself.
- A synopsis of Ikonick - Affordable pop-culture art.
- How Mark was able to build a partnership with Gary Vaynerchuck.
- You can’t be a fan and a friend, you have to pick one or the other.
- You have to be interested and interesting at the same time.
- It’s not so much about who you meet later, it’s about who you came up with.
- What Mark has going on with Gary right now - they’ve dropped one collection, and they’re about to drop two more.
- What’s next for Ikonick - collaborations, licensing, more product mediums, and more.
- Mark believes that the most important thing in any market is intelligence and skills.
- Mark tells a story of when a connection led to a moment of success - the story of meeting Scooter Braun.
The Random Round
What profession other than your own do you think it would be fun to attempt?
- Teaching or angel investing
If you could sit on a park bench with anyone for an hour who would it be, and why?
- Kobe Bryant
- His work ethic is next level
How do you like to consume content?
- Give us a glimpse of your morning routine?
- Make bed
- Do 100 pull-ups
- Take a shower
- Doesn’t look at his phone!
What is something that you are not very good at?
- Building things
What is your go-to pump up song?
- Roy Woods and other slow R&B rap
Where is one place where we can find you the most?
3 Key Points:
- Always and only make new mistakes.
- Value add is more important than the time spent doing something.
- Mark throws a lot of value out there and that is what has built some of his strongest partnerships.
- “I don’t think there’s such a thing as an unhealthy obsession if it’s what makes you happy.” -Mark
- “People sorely underestimate experience.” -Mark
- “The real ones know the real ones.” -Mark
- “When you work with Gary there’s no fluff, and I love that.” -Mark
- “There... For information regarding your data privacy, visit acast.com/privacy