26 - Lying, Cheating and Stealing: What to do?
26: Lying, Cheating, and Stealing
Many parents get very upset when they catch their children lying, stealing, or cheating. We all hate the feeling of betrayal, being lied to, or cheated. But we all lie for lots of reasons. Sometimes to cover up bad behaviours. Other times, we do it out of fear because we want to spare ourselves of punishment or avoid sanctions.
The same goes with our young ones. But one thing is certain, it’s often not as intentional as we adults think and do.
Have you ever felt like no matter what you do, your child keeps on lying? Why do they do it? How can you encourage your children to tell the truth?
Join me in this episode as I go into detail about why our children lie as well as the strategies you can use to address lying!
What you will learn in this episode:
- Why lying bugs us so much?
- Why do kids lie and why does it come so easily to them?
- The different categories of lying and where your child might fit into
- The 3 main goals for parents when dealing with lying
- Teaching your kids how to apologize from the heart
- How to teach and help your kids learn from their mistakes
- Age-based ideas on dealing with lying
- Earning back your child’s trust
- How to encourage honesty
- Communication will always be key in a loving relationship
- How to Handle Your Child’s Dishonesty by Child-Psych.org
- Why Kids Lie from ChildMind.org by ChildMind.org
- Cheese Pizza Idea from Natasha at ReadingIsBetterThanChocolate.com
- Lying Guide By Age from Parents.com
- Honor Code Ideas by ReadBrightly.com
- Favorite Picture Books on Honesty from ChildrensLitLove.com
- How To Talk So Kids Will Listen and Listen So Kids Will Talk by Faber and Mazlish