265: Who or What Part 7 with Jordan Harbinger, Amy Porterfield, and Jeff Hoffman
In this latest episode of The Only Business Networking Podcast on iTunes, we have Part 7 of the Who or What Series where Jordan Harbinger from the Jordan Harbinger Show, Amy Porterfield from the Online Marketing Made Easy Podcast, and Jeff Hoffman, serial entrepreneur from Priceline.com and Ubid.com talk to your host Travis Chappell, to continue the debate of whether who you know or what you know is more important, and why.
- It’s all about who you know - not just connecting up but up, down, and laterally.
- Your network is the most important resource you have.
- Short term - your network is great, long term - your network is crucial.
- How Jordan defines networking - helping people without the expectation of return and in a scalable way.
- When people help you and keep score they’ll write you off when you don’t reciprocate.
- Never think about networking transactionally.
- If you think everyone is taking advantage of you, it’s probably you.
- If someone won’t help you, even with small things, they’re probably taking advantage of you.
- Who you know is important to a certain extent, but what you know is also important.
- People always need things done, so figure out what those things are.
- How Travis developed a relationship with John Lee Dumas and then got Amy Porterfield on the show.
- How Amy became friends with Marie Forleo and why she didn’t pay for that friendship.
- How to get started adding value to others.
- If you’re an evangelist for what someone is doing you can’t help but notice them.
- A person of influence is not going to tell you how they want you to support them.
- Who you know is more important because you don’t know everything.
- You’re not as smart as you think you are, and you’re not good at 12 things, you’re good at one thing.
- If you’re a founder/CEO/Manager you should schedule days to be out of the office to build your network.
- Why Jeff engages strangers all the time.
- How Jeff got a Universal Studios executive to come to be a partner in his independent studio.
- Most people neglect networking because they’re too busy being inefficient to stop and take time to be more efficient.
3 Key Points:
- Networking is not all about schmoozing people ahead of you, you should be well-connected with everyone - up, down, and laterally.
- There is not a difference between networking and real relationship building.
- Don’t build your network when you need it, build it way before you need it.
- “The only things people can’t take away from you are your skills and relationships.” -Jordan
- “You don’t have to be Richard Branson to offer value to people.” -Travis
- “Your heart has to be in the right place, it’s never about making something happen for you, and then magic happens.” -Amy
- “The only way to build anything of significance in life is to build a team.” -Jeff
- Visit Travis’ website at Buildyournetwork.co
- Learn more about mentorships and masterminds for FREE at freemmcourse.com/enroll
- Download Meet Your Hero at travischappell.com/hero
- Explode Your Network at travischappell.com/explode