266: Freestyle Friday | Meet Your Hero - Follow Up
What happens when you don’t get the response you wanted from one of the people you want to network with the most? In this Freestyle Friday episode of Build Your Network, the Only Business Networking podcast on iTunes, your host Travis Chappell talks about the most important part of meeting your hero - the follow up.
- Always remember to go in for the initial ask first.
- Remember to be professionally persistent, even if you get a “no” at first.
- Five tips on follow up:
- 1) If you do not get a response don’t follow up immediately, wait a few days and reach out in a different way. A no is just a not yet, just get better, creative, and figure out how to add value.
- 2) If you do get a no don’t get upset and ignore them - be empathetic.
- 3) Don’t offer something with conditions, offer it as a value-add.
- 4) If you get a “not right now” be sure to follow up again, ask when is a good time to follow-up again.
- 5) Get a smile on your face, try video the second time if you don’t do it the first.
- Download the FREE Meet Your Hero Course at TravisChappell.com.
3 Key Points:
- Some people say no to everyone the first time, so professional persistence is key.
- Many times you’re only getting a “no” because someone is busy, figure out a way to differentiate yourself.
- Most of communication is body language, attempt to do a video chat with your hero and put a smile on your face.
- “There’s no follow up if there’s no initial ask.” -Travis
- “Don’t offer to do things with conditions, just do it as a value-add.” -Travis
- “Only 7% of communication is the words that we say.” -Travis
- Visit Travis’ website at https://www.travischappell.com
- Learn how Travis books his guests on the show download Meet Your Hero for free at travischappell.com/hero
- Get your free mastermind course from Travis here: Freemmcourse.com/enroll
- Explode Your Network at travischappell.com/explode
- Download the Himalaya app free in iTunes and Google Play