#268 | Grigori Rasputin - The Mad Monk
He was the peasant who went from a village in Siberia to the centre of the Russian imperial court, befriending the Tsar and Tsarina, and playing a role in the downfall of Russia’s longest-serving dynasty, The Romanovs.
In this episode, we'll learn about the unlikely but fascinating life of Grigori Rasputin.
- Russia in 1900
- Overview of the fall of the Romanov Dynasty
- The early life of Grigory Yefimovich Novykh ("Rasputin")
- Discovering the "Khylsts" and “sinning to drive out sin”
- Earning the nickname of "The Mad Monk"
- Rasputin's personal hygiene (or lack of)
- Curing the Tsar's son, Alexei
- Securing a place within the imperial family
- Rasputin's relationship with the Tsarina, Alexandra
- An assassination attempt by a noseless peasant
- The plot to kill Rasputin
- The (very long) murder of Rasputin
- Russia after Rasputin's death
- The legacy (and importance) of Grigori Rasputin on Russian history
Full transcript, subtitles and key vocabulary available on the website: https://www.leonardoenglish.com/podcasts/rasputin
You might like:
Keywords: Learn English, idioms, aprende inglés, idiomas, aprender inglês, apprendre l'anglais, imparare l’inglese, ingilizce öğren,英語を習う, تعلم الإنجليزية