27: The Wisdom of a Modern Elder (with Chip Conley)
Though there is a lot of talk about diversity in the workplace, “age diversity” is often overlooked. Might there even be an emerging mission-critical role for wise elders in the world’s most cutting-edge tech companies? Hospitality maverick and Airbnb Strategic Advisor Chip Conley joins Igor and Charles to discuss the U-Curve of happiness, the surprises and challenges of mentoring billionaire CEOs and State Governors, the potential of intergenerational housing, the emergence of a new generation of wisdom workers, and his new project to build the world’s first midlife wisdom school - The Modern Elder Academy. Igor seeks new solutions for the stressed 'sandwich generation', Chip highlights the importance of curiosity at work and how mentoring and interning often go hand-in-hand, and Charles picks Chip’s brain on how to make wisdom more hip and sexy. Welcome to Episode 27.
Special Guest: Chip Conley.
- Chip Conley: Becoming a Modern Elder | TED Talk
- Wisdom at Work: The Making of a Modern Elder: Conley, Chip: 9780525572909: Amazon.com: Books
- The Real Roots of Midlife Crisis - The Atlantic
- The Sandwich Generation | Pew Research Center
- Mind Matters: Cognitive and Physical Effects of Aging Self-Stereotypes | The Journals of Gerontology: Series B | Oxford Academic
- Successful Aging at Work and Beyond: A Review and Critical Perspective | Emerald Insight
- Stanford Center on Longevity – Redesigning Long Life
- Modern Elder Academy