#27 Transitioning through pain; the future for fitness; and trusting your truth with Kaya Cansfield
In today’s episode, I’m joined by Psycle Master Instructor, Nike Ambassador, DJ & Life Coach, Kaya Cansfield! We chat about the direction we feel the fitness industry is heading, the after effects of the racial movements permeating the globe, and how spinning helped Kaya during her recovery period with anorexia. She is an incredible figure within the health and fitness field and her tenacity and spirit to live life to the fullest is truly admirable.
We also dive into the health and wellness industries’ position and involvement within the ‘Black Lives Matter’ movement and support of figureheads who are fighting to ignite social change. Many businesses, including those outside of fitness, have had to examine their own actions towards members of marginalised groups and be honest about where they want their industries to move going forward. I share my own experiences on this, as well as my perspective on how my thinking has shifted after the events that have taken place in the US in recent weeks.
If you’re interested to hear more and would like a deeper insight into Kaya’s story, then tune in to Episode 27 of Fitness Unfiltered!
Some Questions I Ask:
- What are the differences you’ve noticed in your mindset from when you started pursuing this career path to now? (12:39 )
- When did your job as a DJ come into the mix of things you do? (15:03 )
- Could you talk about the recovery period after your major surgery? (19:25 )
- How have gyms being in lockdown affected you & What changes have you seen within the health and fitness industry post Coronavirus? (27:25 )
- What’s been your experience with the ‘boutique’ fitness industry? (42:00 )
- What do you do in your daily practice that helps you through low points? (49:48 )
- How long have you been practicing Nichiren Buddhism? (53:38 )
In This Episode You Will Learn:
- Some background on Kaya Cansfield and her introduction to the fitness industry (3:02 )
- How cycling and fitness helped Kaya recover from her battle with anorexia (8:25 )
- Kaya’s experience with physical burnout and how it forced her to reflect on what she wanted out of life (16:20 )
- The challenges of balancing your mental wellbeing with prioritising clients’ needs & A deeper look into what self care means (22:42 )
- My children’s experiences in lockdown and how they have shifted my ways of thinking whilst we’re all quarantined (31:14 )
- What I think the health and wellness industry will look like after the pandemic (35:44 )
- How the ‘Black Lives Matter’ movement has forced every industry to examine how they’re contributing to social change and inclusion (38:48 )
- My personal experience within the health and wellness field & How I have recognised my own privilege (44:03 )
- The realities behind the aftermath of Coronavirus (47:51 )
- The philosophy behind ‘Nichiren Buddhism’ (50:20 )
- My experience with silent meditation and sound therapy (1:00:11 )
See acast.com/privacy for privacy and opt-out information.